Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR shooting 5D vs 5D2 with Bimetar 80/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: IR shooting 5D vs 5D2 with Bimetar 80/2.8 Reply with quote

I've just run a quick comparison on my two 5D bodies and got some results that surprised me.

The good news is that the Biometar 80/2.8 does not create a significant bright "hot spot" in the centre of the image. In this, it is similar to its predecessor the 2.8/80 Tessar in P6 mount. I don't know if other Tessars are good for IR.

The surprising news is that with a Hoya 720nm IR filter, I got roughly the same results shooting for 30 seconds at ISO 800 on the 5D as I got at 30 seconds on ISO 2000 with the Mark II. The MkII, therefore, allows only around 25% as much IR through as the original 5D.

I guess all my IR shooting will be need to be with the original camera, though allowing for better noise handling and the larger file size, the Mk2 images would probably be comparable to Mk1 if shrunk to the same size.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: IR shooting 5D vs 5D2 with Bimetar 80/2.8 Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
I've just run a quick comparison on my two 5D bodies and got some results that surprised me.

The good news is that the Biometar 80/2.8 does not create a significant bright "hot spot" in the centre of the image. In this, it is similar to its predecessor the 2.8/80 Tessar in P6 mount. I don't know if other Tessars are good for IR.

The surprising news is that with a Hoya 720nm IR filter, I got roughly the same results shooting for 30 seconds at ISO 800 on the 5D as I got at 30 seconds on ISO 2000 with the Mark II. The MkII, therefore, allows only around 25% as much IR through as the original 5D.

I guess all my IR shooting will be need to be with the original camera, though allowing for better noise handling and the larger file size, the Mk2 images would probably be comparable to Mk1 if shrunk to the same size.

Yep.

The MKII actually has two hot mirrors where the 5D has only one. The MKII has one in the dust reduction "shaker" and one over the sensor where the 5D has no dust reduction mirror.

Jules