Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Infrared shooting with S-M-C 20/4.5 (bonus included)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Infrared shooting with S-M-C 20/4.5 (bonus included) Reply with quote

With R72 Hoya filter, on my K100D, with S-M-C Takumar 20/4.5 (sold in marketplace) handheld :

Bonus :
Auto Takumar 35/2.3 (sold in marketplace) :

Macro Takumar @1:1 (not sold) :

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the IR filtered ones! You just buy the filter and put in front of the lens and that's the result? That's awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Impressive results Reply with quote

Impressive results, CarbonR

Pity about sensor dust on the first one, though. But IR makes for interesting images.

I have the Super-Tak 20mm F4.5 myself and like it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also vote for IR images, they are very nice and exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really real, but definitely beautifull and atmospheric. please more of them!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cilinderman wrote:
I really love the IR filtered ones! You just buy the filter and put in front of the lens and that's the result? That's awesome!

No, it need a little post processing, but its indeed a filter, an Hoya R72 exactly Wink

I know for the sensor dust, but photoshop is not an esay task on a 10" laptop Razz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly beautiful photos! The IR makes the scene apear as a winter wonderland.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I love these photos! Great work Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Impressive Very Happy makes me think about giving it a go, it gives a whole new view on things, very cool Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive & beautiful! all great

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And me, with S-M-C 85/1.8 in infrared :

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st, 4th and 5th ones are my favourite, great framing and i love the the sensation of "air" that you can feel in the first one.

The 20 4.5 surely would be a dream on a film camera or on full format Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to get into IR (believe me, I will try anything! I just got through my first roll of redscale film Smile, but always thought that you need to mod your cam to get the best results. If you can get these with an IR filter handheld, then I see no reason to spend hundreds to get a mod...

I'm going on Ebay right now to order my 58mm IR filter :-DDD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
I've been meaning to get into IR (believe me, I will try anything! I just got through my first roll of redscale film Smile, but always thought that you need to mod your cam to get the best results. If you can get these with an IR filter handheld, then I see no reason to spend hundreds to get a mod...

Not all IR filters are born equals ...

Stick with known makers (Hoya or Cokin).

DON'T be tempted to buy the cheap chinese version, you will be disappointed (I know, I was Confused )

Also, some DSLR are more sensible to IR than others. CarbonR's Pentax K100 is quite sensible (although the last pic was taken at 1/6 sec and I guess full aperture).

After 1 year playing with my normal DSRL, I choose to convert a P&S (a 4mpix Canon G2) which give me that kind of result :

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mUg wrote:
The 20 4.5 surely would be a dream on a film camera or on full format Cool

On APX film : http://www.flickr.com/photos/carbonr/3241526735/in/set-72157613200292026/

Nice lens, but I mostly use my Tamron 17/3.5, but it is less sharp than the Tak Cool

rawhead wrote:

Hoya R72, very good quality filter, I paid mine less than 40$ (58mm) on Ebay (seller vcc13, who sold me twice IR filters) Wink

Jieffe wrote:
Also, some DSLR are more sensible to IR than others. CarbonR's Pentax K100 is quite sensible (although the last pic was taken at 1/6 sec and I guess full aperture).

Yes, the K100D is "very" sensitive. Between only 7-10 stops lost with IR filter. It can be used andheld with a 50mm @f/2-4 on sunny days, or a wider lens, darker. But the shot with the 85/1.8 was at f/4 or f/5.6 on tripod Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob van Sikorski wrote:
not really real, but definitely beautifull and atmospheric. please more of them!

Actually it's completely real. Your eyes just can't see into infrared. This is what it looks like all the time.

Visit my dedicated IR forum for some examples that will knock your socks off.

www.irphotocom.com

Cheers

Jules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be a standard post processing in an IR photo? What is exactly what you get when you do the photo Very Happy? It really looks like an unknown world!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cilinderman wrote:
What would be a standard post processing in an IR photo? What is exactly what you get when you do the photo Very Happy? It really looks like an unknown world!

Well, there is no standard post processing in IR world. All sensors treat IR "light" slightly differently therefore something shot with the same filter, same everything on a Nikon that is shot on a Canon or a Sigma or a Sony will be slightly to completely different.
Also each IR pass / visible light "cut" filter (roughly 600nm to about 1000nm) gives a different result from a visible-IR light mix to no visible- total IR image which will be almost a completely different version of a given scene.

What one gets, "RAW" will depend on the camera, the sensor, the filtratrion or lack of filtration, the light source, sun, flash or constant, and the content of the picture so it's literally all up for grabs.

Pines for instance reflect IR poorly so they seem dark where as oak leaves, and palm fronds reflect IR very well and seem brilliant. Certain fabric' the same and skin . .. .whew . . is a whole other ball game.

Cheers

Jules