Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

inexpensive 28mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
Sounds like this is the lens I need to be on the lookout for. Under $20 and good? My kind of lens! Smile

This is the lens I have, currently $9.95. Make sure the serial number begins with 28xxxxx. This one is in Pentax K mount but there are also M42, Minolta MD and Canon FD versions that I know of, maybe more. The mount version is engraved next to the aperture ring if you can see it in any pics.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Olympus 28 and S-M-C Tak 28 are so tiny you will love it on your body.

OK, I sniggered Laughing

I'd recommend the 28xxxxx Vivitar and the Tamron 28/2.5 Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
woodrim wrote:
I would think the OP would want something adaptable to his camera without the need for additional optics. I'm not familiar enough with Canon to know what lenses are easily used, but M42 is usually the best bet.

Canon is the most adaptable brand for full-frame and APS-C. Olympus, Nikkor, Pentax, Contax, Leica are all usable without additional optics. M42 isn't totally safe with the Super Takumar 28/3.5 for instance, which will probably give mirror clearance problems on the 5Dmk2.

I second the recommendations for Olympus Zuiko 28/2.8MC and Vivitar 28/2.8 close focus. I think the Tamron and Yashica ML are good options as well, but I don't have experience with them.

Canon isn't reverse compatible with their on lenses such as FL/FD etc with a couple of exceptions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Tokina RMC 28mm but look for the one with the green font on the front ring, it seems to be sharper. You can pick up the same basic lens but with an auto/manual switch under the mitsuki brand. The Adaptall 2 28mm is a good one too. Sigma mini wide is also a decent one, one of the better older sigma designs. There are so many to choose from!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatdeeman wrote:
I love my Tokina RMC 28mm but look for the one with the green font on the front ring, it seems to be sharper. You can pick up the same basic lens but with an auto/manual switch under the mitsuki brand. The Adaptall 2 28mm is a good one too. Sigma mini wide is also a decent one, one of the better older sigma designs. There are so many to choose from!

+1 for Sigma mini wide. The MFD is 0.22m which is good for close up works.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three different 28mm primes, which I picked up for peanuts...

Nikkor 2.8cm f/3.5 F (non-AI): Out of the three, this one is the best. It's an early silver-nose version (1963-4) with the focal length listed in centimeters. Despite it being single-coated, it actually has pretty decent contrast and like the later multi-coated versions (C, K, Ai, Ai-S), is very resistant to flare and ghosting. The 5 blade diaphragm of the oldest (F and C) variants is kind of neat, as this was the only Nikkor (to my knowledge) to have such a configuration (everything else had 6 or 7 blades). It's also pretty good when used for infrared. Sure, it isn't as sharp as the f/2.8 Ai-S, but it's also a lot cheaper. I picked mine up for $60, it's a pretty good bang for your buck.

Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 TX: Made by Tokina in 1975, this is quite possibly the worst of the three. It isn't very sharp, contrast could be higher and it flares/ghosts like hell. The actual focal length is slightly longer than 28mm, as well. It isn't as common as the Kiron-made version, but these do go rather cheaply (in my case, $20 with a non-AI TX mount).

Vivitar 28mm f/2.5: Made by Kiron in 1971, this one sits between the Nikkor and the TX optically. Sharpness isn't spectacular, but not too bad. It has lower contrast and also flares/ghosts like hell (although better than the TX). Mine is the preset version, but it is optically identical to the much more common fixed-mount versions. These are dirt cheap, I picked mine up for $5 (with an M42 T mount) even with the little "preset" detail.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
Nikkor 2.8cm f/3.5 F (non-AI): Out of the three, this one is the best. It's an early silver-nose version (1963-4) with the focal length listed in centimeters. Despite it being single-coated, it actually has pretty decent contrast and like the later multi-coated versions (C, K, Ai, Ai-S), is very resistant to flare and ghosting. The 5 blade diaphragm of the oldest (F and C) variants is kind of neat, as this was the only Nikkor (to my knowledge) to have such a configuration (everything else had 6 or 7 blades). It's also pretty good when used for infrared. Sure, it isn't as sharp as the f/2.8 Ai-S, but it's also a lot cheaper. I picked mine up for $60, it's a pretty good bang for your buck.

I have a later, "K" version of this lens. It's MC, but uses the same optical arrangement as the earlier silver-nose type. I also have an AIS 28/3.5 (smaller front and larger rear lens element compared to the non-Ai type), and that lens is much sharper in the corners (center is about equally sharp on all of them). The going price is under $60 for Ai/AIS 28/3.5, so I would recommend going for the later type.

The older non-Ai type is one of the best lenses for IR (later types supposedly have a hot spot).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the olympus om 28 f3.5 it's super cheap, it's really nice and also in extension tubes performs beautifully =)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really hardup (then other than a Osawa) a Hanimex 28mm is quite good for about £3-£6...Wide open is poor but stopped down it's useful. Got mine mint from the bay £5.50 delivered on Fuji mount, there's another one going if interested with no bidders @ £1.99.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130425747300&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&afsrc=1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all these threads, I hope Haley got her lens. Very Happy

My 2 cents Twisted Evil

Pentacon 2.8/29
Tamron AD2 (02B) 2.5/28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got a pentacon mc 28/2.8 off the bay for £2.73 which i consider cheap enough, not the sharpest but usable

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

135 wrote:
well i got a pentacon mc 28/2.8 off the bay for £2.73 which i consider cheap enough, not the sharpest but usable

Could be similar to my CZJ 28mm................

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this isn't too late, I have an OM mount Vivitar 28mm Close Focus f/2.8 that I will sell for $20 & shipping.

Here are two pictures to demonstrate the lens' ability, followed by a link to my gallery of photos from that lens:

http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/vivitar28mmcf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: 28mm F2 vivitar Reply with quote

If you're looking for any 28mm lens sharper than a modern kit zoom you might as well look for an F2 rather than an F3.5 because by F5.6 most kit zooms (18-55IS Canon for example) are VERY good

mfkita wrote:
Here's my Vivitar 28/2...gotten cheap because it's stuck at F2

Full frame @F2 (sRAW on Canon 40D) and 100% crop (with USM 300/.3/0)