Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar 61 macro lens question.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Industar 61 macro lens question. Reply with quote

I see claims the INDUSTAR 61L/Z MC is a macro lens but I have not been able to find any information as to what the magnification ratio is. Perhaps it is only a close focus lens.

Anybody here know?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1:3 macro Laughing
Mine seems close focus 6"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not meant to be a macro lens; "close focusing" would be the right designation. My copy focuses down to 0.3m (1ft). No official data on maximum magnification was provided; however, there are calculators available to provide that sort of info based on lens focal length and MFD.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My I-50 focuses down to ONE INCH!!
Of course, it's on tubes for that. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For magnification either use ext. rings or turn it over and attach with a couple of rubbers to the camera Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, as I suspected, it is not really a macro lens at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not rly into macro photography, but always thought that macro lens is a lens that allows you to take pics from the range lesser than focal distance. Now you confused me. What is it than?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:

No, but it's highly regarded for macro use on tubes.

vulko wrote:
I'm not rly into macro photography, but always thought that macro lens is a lens that allows you to take pics from the range lesser than focal distance. Now you confused me. What is it than?

Macro has to do with magnification, not working distance. We usually recognize as 'macro' a setup that will reach at least 1:2 magnification, with 1:1 preferred. 1:1 means that the image on the sensor is the same size as the subject; 1:2 means that image is 1/2 the subject's size. Virtually any lens *can* be used for macro work somehow, maybe on tubes or bellows, whether straight or reversed or stacked. A straight (non-reversed) lens CANNOT focus to less than its focal length (or so I have read); a reversed or stacked lens focuses to the register (working distance) of that lens type, which on most dSLRs is around 40-50mm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
revers wrote:

No, but it's highly regarded for macro use on tubes.

vulko wrote:

Macro has to do with magnification, not working distance. We usually recognize as 'macro' a setup that will reach at least 1:2 magnification, with 1:1 preferred. 1:1 means that the image on the sensor is the same size as the subject; 1:2 means that image is 1/2 the subject's size. Virtually any lens *can* be used for macro work somehow, maybe on tubes or bellows, whether straight or reversed or stacked. A straight (non-reversed) lens CANNOT focus to less than its focal length (or so I have read); a reversed or stacked lens focuses to the register (working distance) of that lens type, which on most dSLRs is around 40-50mm.

Hm... 1:1 means that object and its image on sensor are equal? You can get closer to object than and you get image on sensor bigger, won't you?
That means magnification 1:N, where N > 1. Correct?
So by making the minimum focusing distance less than the focal length of the lens you get objects magnified, or as you said macro.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hm... 1:1 means that object and its image on sensor are equal? You can get closer to object than and you get image on sensor bigger, won't you?
So by making the minimum focusing distance less than the focal length of the lens you get objects magnified, or as you said macro.

If you use extension tubes longer than the focal length of the lens you will get greater magnification than 1:1. i.e. if you use 56mm of tubes on a 50mm lens you will have an image on the film/sensor larger than life size.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:

Yes, but sharp and it has very precise focusing so I really recommend it with a simple extension rings series.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the "big brother" Volna 9 Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro per definition of our german norm is the 1:1 - 50:1 magnification range.
Unfortunately the term "macro" is used very loosely especially for marketing of lenses/cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then macro lens should mean a lens with some kind of mechanism inside, that is like a tube? Am i getting this right?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:

No, you can't focus closer than the focal length. I just tested this -- I put a standard 50mm camera lens on bellows and racked it out to 150mm. That means the total extension is 200mm, for magnification of 3:1. Then I aimed at my glowing computer screen, with a ruler to mark the distance from the lens front to the screen. The distance: just about 2 inches or 50mm. I tried it again with 100mm of extension, for 2:1 magnification, and the focus distance is: 50mm. If I added another 50mm of tubes to the bellows+lens assembly, I would get 4:1 magnification, but the close-focus point is still at 50mm.

vulko wrote:
Then macro lens should mean a lens with some kind of mechanism inside, that is like a tube? Am i getting this right?

There are various ways to go 'macro', to approach or pass 1:1 magnification. The simplest way is to put a lens onto bellows or extension tubes. If the lens is mounted normally (not reversed), its closest possible focus distance is equal to its focal length. If the lens is reversed (which may give a sharper image), the close-focus point is the lens' register, probably around 40-50mm.

Most 'macro' lenses have a long focusing helicoid mechanism, which moves the lens further from the sensor/film frame -- that is, it adds more extension. The further the lens is from the sensor/film frame, the greater is the magnification.

The other common macro setup uses a supplemental (add-on) lens of some sort. The cheap way is to use +diopter closeup lenses, simple meniscus glass. But these distort. Another way is to use a two-element adapter, which corrects for distortions. The popular Raynox close-up adapters are like this.

And another popular way is to 'stack' ordinary lenses. The longer lens mounted on your camera is called the 'primary'; the shorter reversed lens attached to the primary is the 'secondary'. Magnification is just the ratio of the focal lengths of primary to secondary. Suppose I put a 105mm lens on my camera, one with 49mm thread diameter. I put a 49mm reversal ring onto that lens, then reverse a 35mm lens onto that. Magnification is 105/35 or 3:1. And the working distance is the register of the secondary.

I hope I explained this clear enough.