Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I want to know what you think of this...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: I want to know what you think of this... Reply with quote

So, this is one my first post in this forum...And I want to get in touch with photographers with the same interest as me...

I don't know; since I began to work will all kinds of things and lens and cameras like this, I just realize that big auto -focus plastic lens was not for me Very Happy

So here is a test that I've made with one of my favorite cameras : Bronica ERTsi with a 75mm 2.8 lens. This was shot wide open with a really old Agfa 160 portrait film that I've pushed by 3. When I received the film from the lab I was really surprised by this result. You can see also another picture from the same film and the same photo-shoot in the 3 best pics of 2008 topic.

So... I want to know what you think.

I've called this picture Psychose which means psychosis...I think you've got the point...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed. It is a very common composition (taken on level with the person, tight framing of the face and shoulders, looking away from camera, with negative space to the side). This is not a bad thing by any means - I shoot these kind of shots most of the time. A non-traditional shot may actually add to your theme though. The undefined colors and sectionals of the eye are fantastic. I can't help but thing of the line: "eyes are the windows the the soul." An amazing mystery lies behind these eyes. Given the name "Psychose" the loose grain (probably due to the push processing) gives an appropriate atmosphere.

The singular highlight is distracting to me. Its placement and coloring don't fit well into the tonal range from top to bottom; the lighting from above slowly falls off. The highlight disrupts this pattern. Obviously things like this can't be avoided and it probably was not intentional.

I don't mean for any of my criticisms to be taken as mean, only helpful. Your probably a much better photographer than me. I look forward to future samples.

~Marc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the reply! Very interrresting!

This is not my favorite composition either; but i kinda like this picture because of the surprise I've got when I received the negative. We always want to know what a thing looks like when everybody tells us; don't do it! Very Happy

This is the case here...

The saddest thing is that I've never found again a roll of that kind of film... R.I.P. Agfa 160 portrait