Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to prevent anti-newton rings from the scanner glass?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: How to prevent anti-newton rings from the scanner glass? Reply with quote

Hello,

This weekend I found out that scans from my Epson 4990 are noticably sharper when I put the negatives (35mm) directly on the scanner glass, instead of in the negative holders. There is no glass on top of them, since I only use two thin metal bars on the sides to keep them in place.

However, where the negatives touch the scanner glass, anti-newton rings still develop. Of course these do not appear with the film holder, but then the scans are much softer (out of focus?).

Is there a good way for making these rings dissapear? Does someone produce thinner film holders for the Epson 4990 scanner?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to iron negatives with heavy books , before scan and holder will be usable well at least this is my trick on Epson V500.
ANR glass to press negatives to surface available from several sources on net. I don't have experience with ANR glass , due I am satisfied with book ironing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Try to iron negatives with heavy books , before scan and holder will be usable well at least this is my trick on Epson V500.
ANR glass to press negatives to surface available from several sources on net. I don't have experience with ANR glass , due I am satisfied with book ironing.

Thank you!

Maybe the V500 is less sensitive to the height of the negatives? The 4990 gets more detail when the scan is directly on the glass.

But the difference is not huge.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did never try it out without holder.
My usual process is next:

1) ironing a few hrs
2) scan into tiff
3) sharpening, contrast , color changing in tiff if need it
try these steps above and might be works for you also.