Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to get front element out of lens? TOKINA SL 17mm 3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: How to get front element out of lens? TOKINA SL 17mm 3.5 Reply with quote

So, I have this lens and there is a very small bit of fungus on the very outside edge of the front element. I didn't even notice what it was until I looked really close with a magnifying glass. I would like the remove the front element to clean underneath, and I have done so on many lenses before, but I don't see any holes for a spanner or anyway to get it out. Can anyone help who might have experience with the lens or other lenses like it with a similarly mounted front element? Thanks.

Heres what the front looks like, found this image on these forums.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably be one of two methods to remove the name ring, it's glued into position, or you will need a rubber ring with some grip to unscrew it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking, dont have one of those though, I'll have to find a way to make something to do the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I managed to get the name ring off, but once off I noticed that all the lens elements after the iris are housed together, maybe cemented, I dont know, shitty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

namtot wrote:
Well I managed to get the name ring off, but once off I noticed that all the lens elements after the iris are housed together, maybe cemented, I dont know, shitty.

Are you saying you're unable to access (for purpose of cleaning) the rear surface of the front lens element we see in your photo? Question

ETA

Just thinking out loud here, unless you're shooting film it might be as well. Peripheral fungus will not interfere with your use of the lens and you will not be risking decentering any of the elements if you leave everything alone. Just store with adequate silica gel and you'll be good. Course if you're shooting film, using the entire lens, it's another story.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the spot is really tiny and near the edge and you can't easily disassemble the lens, I'd rather store it correctly (dry, exposed to sunlight and dust free) than risk to damage the lens. You have good chance fungus won't grow.