Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to get enough light on an urban exploration, caves etc.?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: How to get enough light on an urban exploration, caves etc.? Reply with quote

Last time I made an urban exploration I had only a very strong minolta flash and some flashlights - the flash was strong enough but hard to get an even brightness. Flashlights were also hard to handle, esp. during long exposures.
I had to bounce the flash at max. power against the ceiling to get usable results - but after that I was blinded for the next 3 minutes Very Happy

Sample:

Direct light with the flash didn't work as the cone of light is very small.

With flashlights the exposure times are very long, even at very high ISOs... it did work nice of some photos but it was a pain in the *ss anyway
Sample:

So now I was thinking about a stronger and better lightsource.
I tried an LED "storm lantern" but the light is very unnatural and it's also slightly dull.
Flashbulbs are too expensive for general use.
It has to be compact as I often have to crouch through cramped wet tunnels etc. - so large equipment like reflektors are no option.

I thought about glas lamps with an incandescent mantle, very bright and affordable (400W about 20€ without gas bottle) - but they also have a major drawback, because they are extremly sensitive to any shock in my experience.
Similar problems with high powered oil lamps like Petromax 500 or similar. They are very bright and chinese fakes can be had for comparable little money (500W 40€). But they are very large Sad More something for a BBQ Party

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-4 tripods old flashes with socks on head + remote triggers after a couple of try you will find best output and order I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for answer but as said I have to carry these through cramped tunnels which are sometime partially under water....
Results would be great no question - but it would be very uncomfortable Wink

One of these tunnels I'm talking about (they are the only way go inside most of my target-buildings):

Now imagine him with 4-5 Tripods, 3 lenses, camera, 4 flashes, and a flashlight in his hands Very Happy
And my friend here is only 1,68m - I'm 1,93m Very Happy

Tunnels are 1m - 1,50m height and ~30-50cm wide
And in many of them have tricky crossbraces

(Fisheye-effect might be a bit misleading - both of my shoulders were tightly sandwiched between the walls during this photo)

PS:
Most of these tunnels are 40-100m long but according to some literature there also has to be (a bigger?) one I haven't found yet which is several kilometers long, connecting these buildings with another hospital Shocked

Last edited by ForenSeil on Tue May 28, 2013 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not imagine reminding a real chemist about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide_lamp Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sample is a pretty good result for flash I'd think

as to the Q, the best efficiency thus weight (unless you want to carry Mg torches perhaps) is LED technology. for a few watts these are blistering bright. last time I bought them they were 3 bucks or so at LIDL

Maybe you can buy like 10..20 of them and bulk them up into something like a hedgehog (the problem is these are spot), using 12 V version and batteries mhhmhhmm.. lets say they eat 2 W each you would require 3 A.. not sure you can do that with AA (you'd need it for a short time only but still), there are transportable 12V packs but even the small ones are pretty heavy

There is also the Flashlight from He- I mean, Germany, that Ken reviewed recently, but I guess it isn't wide enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to the LEDs.
And if the light is too harsh or too blue, you can place either some grease-proff paper (baking paper) or toilet-roll/tissue (even choose a colour) and each of these will diffuse the light and reduce the bluish tone. I know a few cavers who do this. I can ask about the weight and battery endurance if you like, though I don't know if they will be able to tell me anything about the point-source vs spot-capability of an LED.

If you want a source with point && diffusive ability, couldn't you use one of those search-torchlights like the police use - again, LED technology, but one can focus the light out to 50m on some of the more powerful ones. Just a thought...

Looks like a fascinating project. I like to shoot shots of urban decay, but I can't get to sites like this. I broke my back years ago, so like everyone else, I'll have to wait to see more of the images - please post results.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I can not imagine reminding a real chemist about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide_lamp Laughing

Very Happy Yes I also thought about that, but getting calcium carbide in Germany is rather difficult and very dangerous to buy it online - it wouldn't be my first search warrant for my home for buying suspicious chemicals - no joke! (You can make some explosives from calcium carbide). I have a license to buy and sell even highly toxic chemicals and I'm a highly accomplished chemist but they didn't care Twisted Evil German authorities are very paranoid about individuals which buy chemicals - and as I don't wan't search warrants every few months I prevent to buy any chemicals which could be used to make explosives.

Hmm I think I will try something like this next time:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Gaslaterne-mit-Piezo-Zundung-und-Tasche-von-Fox-Outdoor-400W-Gaslampe-/230774454207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item35bb3ab7bf