Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How good are Tamron Adaptall lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: How good are Tamron Adaptall lenses? Reply with quote

Hi guys!

After searching around a little bit I though just ask them!

So I stumbled across some Tamron Adaptall lenses on eBay. How good are those? There are some pretty interesting focal lengths with nice max aperture and a nice price tag!

How good do they perform on digital like my Nikon D1x? Am I right when I say that there is no problem with infinity focus with those Adaptall lenses on my nikon?

What is the difference between Adaptall und Adaptall 2?

Thanks!

Karhallarn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Adaptall lenses Reply with quote

No doubt some models are better than others, but I get truly excellent results from my Adaptall-2 135mm f2.5 and 90mm f2.5 SP. I also have a 28mm f2.5 which is good but not in the same top-class as my longer ones.

There's a useful Tamron info website at www.adaptall-2.com, but of course it's pretty much biased in their favour! All of them will (should) give you correct infinity focus with the appropriate mount for your camera.

The fixed focal lenghths are still very cheap to buy, but be careful of the older Adaptamatic versions unless they come with the correct mounts for your camera - they use a different fitting altogether which is now hard to find.

Last edited by scsambrook on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good? It depends on individual "taste". I have many Tamron (AD2 and older) lenses and between them LD lenses - are very good. In my opinion lenses as follow: 63B 2.5/180 (LD), 60B 2.8/300 (LD), 30A 2.8/80-200 (LD), 01A 2.8-3.8/35-80, 72B 2.8/90 are outstanding lenses and can challenge any other OEM lenses. This statement is based on taking pictures using perfect quality copies of those lenses with original P/KA Tamron adapter on Pentax K10D DSLR body. I can not confirm that identical results would be available using EOS cameras, or Nikon cameras. I do not have any single Nikon DSLR body (now) and using Canon 5D Mark II I have to use Tamron M42 AD2 adapter and aftermarket M42/EOS adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had excellent results from all my Adaptall 2 and Tamron SP lenses. The 28mm Adaptall 1 is also excellent and the Adaptall 1 135mm prime is good, although it shows some CA.

As for the Adaptall 1 85-210 zoom, avoid!! Get the AD2 103A which is MILES better. Or the 03A if you can't find a 103A.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't own 30A the best choice is 19AH or slightly worse 52A (not as sharp wide open but more contrasty then 19AH). I agree - avoid other 80/90-200/210 Tamron lenses. The only 2 Tamron lenses in AD2 I've never tried were 3.5-4.2/35-210 (26A) and 5.6/350 mirror (06B). About first one - good and very good opinion, about second - probably one of the sharpest lens in this focal length.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's two samples from the 60B - both with the 140F I believe.

Two from the 52B - This one has trouble at f8 and smaller due to sensor flare.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only got the SP 90mm F2.5 (52b) Macro. It's sharp at F4 and smaller. I've not noticed the flare that has been reported. The SP range should be pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep Beautiful samples, indeed. What kind of camera did you use?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Voytek. These were all taken with a 30D.

I haven't encountered the sensor flare with the 52B in the field yet, but as soon as I tried to use it in my light tent I realized it definitely wasn't going to work. Very prominent blue spot at f8-16.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your posts! I'm looking forward to the end of some eBay auctions now! Wink

Great pictures by the way!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/Tamron/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 24mm 2.5 BBAR that I like quite a bit. It depends on the shooter and what pleases you, give one a go and you decide.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How good do they perform on digital like my Nikon D1x? Am I right when I say that there is no problem with infinity focus with those Adaptall lenses on my nikon?

I got 19AH and 52B on my Nikon D80, there is no problem with infinity focus.

btw, I have a Minolta X31 too, as well as X20, F300 Razz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to find this thread, because this morning I called and spoke to the gentleman who put up the Adaptall2 website.

I was looking for advice about adapters for Adaptall2 to EOS and he kindly recommended Roxen adapters from Hong Kong - I have a Tamron 300mm F2.8 60B which needs to fit a Canon 5D.

But one detail he was unsure about was whether I could stack two adapters which I already have, on top of each other (I am traveling and the lens is back at home so I can't do a first hand test of this myself at the moment).

Does anyone know if you can attach the lens by stacking a Tamron-Contax/Yashica adapter AND a C/Y-EOS adapter?

Sounds like too much adapter to me, but would it work?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attach mine using an OM Adaptall-2 and a OM-EOS adapter.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta Compacts absolutely rule! Was my first camera and is still in my poket running around!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contra, the best way to use Tamron AD2 lenses is to buy original AD2/M42 Tamron (less then $20) adapter and attach M42/EOS one. I can confirm that M42/EOS (AF)adapter from big_is works perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the best way to use Tamron AD2 lenses is to buy original AD2/M42 Tamron (less then $20) adapter and attach M42/EOS one. I can confirm that M42/EOS (AF)adapter from big_is works perfect.

Hopefully. Got my Ori AD2 to M42 and now waiting for my M42-MA from big_is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contra wrote:

Does anyone know if you can attach the lens by stacking a Tamron-Contax/Yashica adapter AND a C/Y-EOS adapter?

Works on a crop camera but the Contax stuff on the back of Adaptall hit mirror FF. Then better use Adaptall-EOS direct.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a 5D but I can sucessfully stack a AD2->M42 onto M42->Sony AF adapters with all my Tamrons.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the advice Voytek, and Kansalliskala !
A great thing to quickly get things sorted out when there are so many alternative adapters on offer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Contra, the best way to use Tamron AD2 lenses is to buy original AD2/M42 Tamron (less then $20) adapter and attach M42/EOS one. I can confirm that M42/EOS (AF)adapter from big_is works perfect.

+1

and I got my AD2/M42 by Alex (hk300). Very good quality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then post the picture, please, I will do the same with the same lens. Oooops, I do not have your lens but I can use 52A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voitek.
Here are shots showing the adapters and next 2 pictures taken with the lens mounted on my 40D.

Cheers,
Olivier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I will post photos later