Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you adjust the aperture on this Helios 44-2?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: How do you adjust the aperture on this Helios 44-2? Reply with quote

I just received a lens that looks just like this:

But the aperture won't go anywhere. Bot the top ring with the aperture numbers and the ring below it are completely stuck. What should I do?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a so call preset function. The second ring, you need to push down and turn to f16, then the top most ring will move. I am guessing your lens had the red dot faded off. Right now, both the red dot on the top and bottom of the rings are set at f2.8 thus it is unable to move.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar jupiter lens, where you can fix the aperture by turning another ring below. By this you define, on which aperture the aperture ring stops (If fixed on "8", it moves from 2.8 to "8"). If it's fixed on 2.8, it doesn't move at all. So you should be able to turn the ring below the aperture ring to change the aperture. Sounds complicated, but it is not.

If both rings are completely stuck, there also might be a mechanical problem due to the age of the lens. In those cases I put the lens into broad sunlight to get the lens really warm. Sometimes it helps and stuck rings get loose.
Maybe that helps,

Stefan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my first Helios 44-2 I had the same sort of problem. Maybe this thread will make things clearer. Smile
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-44-2-aperture-t24330.html