Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Homage to Mappelthorpe, Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Homage to Mappelthorpe, Zeiss 120/5.6 S-Planar Reply with quote

When I saw artist, activist and veteran Bud's cane, I knew I had to shoot a "Homage to Robert Mapplethorpe" (although I am not a big fan of RM).
He made this cane on the theme of the Holocaust.

Hasselblad, 120/5.6 S-Planar, Acros, I devleoped in Xtol 1:1.

I am doing a series on local activists, all shot with black and white, medium format film.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mappelthorpe's image.

Not looking for a competition, his is better. Just a little light homage.
Smile

In case you are not familiar with the story behind the image, Mappelthorpe was quite a famous photographer in the late 1980's. He was diagnosed with AIDS, which did spell his demise. He shot this image as his "death mask" final self portrait.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellepi wrote:
Excellent

Thanks ellepi!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting shots and interesting story. Thank you for sharing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent. i like yours much better because it does not glorify the photographer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit to a certain reluctance to opening this thread ! Some of RM's work was decidedly not to my taste Shocked While some of it I really admired.

This however is a very nice homage indeed !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erkie, LOL! I know exactly what you mean!

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish, thanks very much. I look at this more as a portrait of 73 year old Bud who is quite a character, an unknown folk artist (with a nod to RM).

Yebisu, thank you. Smile

Here's one of Bud's crazy hats. Each one is a world unto itself. All the eyes move when the hat is moved.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that really is folk art ...