Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hippeastrum - Nikon E 2.8/100, Nikon E 1.8/50 & Mir 24N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Hippeastrum - Nikon E 2.8/100, Nikon E 1.8/50 & Mir 24N Reply with quote

Although I like plants I'm not alway successful at growing them. One approach is to buy bulbs - you simply plant them and they grow. The Hippeastrum (commonly called Amaryllis) is very popular at this time of year. This one is called 'Exotic Star'. I took it outside and placed it on top of a step-ladder in order to obtain a 'blue-sky' background. So the shots are taken from below the flowers which are about 2m high. Unfortunately the cloud started to move in, and the sun moved more quickly than I had anticipated, as I moved from one lens to another.

Nikon D60, all shots at f/8, RAW capture with PP in PSE 5.

Nikon E 2.8/100

Nikon E 1.8/50

Mir 24N 2/35

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice samples John. I am most surprised by the 50/1.8 series E - the other two lenses are known to be superb value, offering much better quality than their prices suggest. Here is the same flower by natural indoor light and with the flek 35/2.4

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hippeastrum - Nikon E 2.8/100, Nikon E 1.8/50 & Mir Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Mir 24N 2/35

I like this one Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick & no-X. I received the Nikon 100 only yesterday and the 50 a few days earlier. However initial impressions - in terms of handling - are favourable. So these pictures were simply a "try out". The Mir picture may work better because of the greater DOF the lens offers.

Patrick - I think that your Hippeastrum might be called "Minerva". I had one of these, or one very similar, in flower before Christmas. But the only pictures I have were with flash - which gives somewhat different colours.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow ! my favourite is MIR !! Smile

tf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tf. Here's another one with the Mir - but the light was beginning to go at this stage- I should probably have used a little fill-in flash..

... and one from the beginning of the session withe The Nikon E 100 - and with trees in the background...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Nikon E 100mm, and found that very sharp, great lens in this FL.

But results are showing MIR's strength. Doesnt look very sharp (comparative statement), but colors/contrast rendering, seems winner to me...

Could you post more vegetation/floral pics with MIR...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Doesnt look very sharp (comparative statement), but colors/contrast rendering, seems winner to me...

I know what you mean. Here's a comparison between 4 lenses I carried out just before Christmas...subject is Hippeastrum 'Minerva'...

Top Left Arsat N 2.8/20
Top Right CZJ Flektogon 2.4/35 + Kood adapter
Bottom Left Mir 24 2/35
Bottom Right Mir 38 3.5/65

All at f/8 + flash. Distance from the flower was adjusted to fill the frame. The Kood adapter acts as a weak teleconverter making the Flek into effectively ~ 40 mm. So the two longer lenses (both on right) were used further away from the flower than those on the left. For those on the left, my body shielded the flower from the room lighting. I think that this accounts for the colour differences.

Sharpness is very similar for the 4 lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

Pictures taken with the Mir24 2/35 on Nikon D40x. All at f/8 except number 5 which is f/11.

1. Dahlia 'Martina'

2. Stokesia laevis

3. Brassia 'Rex'

4. Bougainvillea

5. Narcissus 'Paper White Inbal'

6. Plane tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent shots!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

I loved this one!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most beautiful flower pictures I've ever seen!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yalcinaydin wrote:
sichko wrote:

I loved this one!

So do I!!

tf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a while to appreciate the qualities of the Mir-24. I initially dismissed it as soft. But it grows on you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIR-24 seems like very interesting lens, esp for wolds/outdoors... Usually captured stopped down, wide open softness should not be a big issue in these scenarios....

Thanks for posting pics...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tf.

Chis & Ballu - the Mir 24 is not the sharpest 35 mm lens that I've had. I'm sure that the CZJ 2.4/35, and even the Mir 1(B) 2.8/37, are sharper. But at f/8 it's "sharp enough". My copy has some etching on an internal element - possibly a manufacturing default or maybe the results of cleaning after fungal infection. In addition there is a tremendous recoil when one takes the shot. Hopefully this happens after the shutter has closed but if it's taking place before the shutter has opened there will be some residual vibration left during the exposure.

A new Hippeastrum has just opened so perhaps I'll try it wide open !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
In addition there is a tremendous recoil when one takes the shot. Hopefully this happens after the shutter has closed but if it's taking place before the shutter has opened there will be some residual vibration left during the exposure.

Yes, I had noticed that. You can really feel the lens resonate in your hand like a bell when struck.