Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Here's the Noob's quick MF 50mm Lens comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Here's the Noob's quick MF 50mm Lens comparison Reply with quote

Okay, so here's the proof of what happens when you set four lenses against each other in Manual Focus, the three M42 lenses being connected via a focus confirm adapter of cheap and cheerful EBay quality.
The 50mm lenses I've got are as follows:

Pentacon f/1.8
Carl Zeiss Tessar f/2.8
Super Takumar f/1.4
Canon EF f/1.4

In order to give comparable results I tested them all in manual focus at f/2.8. I tested the Canon EF in both Manual and Auto Focus. I also tested the lenses which are wider than f/2.8 at their widest setting.

It seemed to me that what I wanted to see most was how their results differed straight from the camera and before processing. Accordingly I set up some flowers in the dappled shade of a birch tree and with some background subject matter so that I could see any differences in the bokeh. I didn't spend a lot of time tweaking camera settings, merely put the 5D on a tripod, selected my focus point, put the Pentacon on first, found a reasonable shutter speed for it at f/1.8 and fired away with the same shutter speed throughout the Manual Focus test shots. I realise that there might be some glare off the white petals but I wanted this to be a tough test rather than the creation of some pretty pictures. All I have done is convert the images from RAW to Jpeg: no pp, sharpening or tweaking. These are as they came off the CF card.

With hindsight I wish I'd set my shutter speed for the test with an aperture of f/2.8 but then this isn't life and death.

I can't wait to see what you guys think and in the meantime I'll be busy trying to decide whether I have any preferences and why.

Here then are the results:

Pentacon f/1.8 @ f/2.8

Carl Zeiss Tessar f/2.8 @ f/2.8

Super Takumar f/1.4 @ f/2.8

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2.8 Manual Focus

and the same lens at the same settings in AF mode

And for interest, the faster lenses at their widest settings:

Pentacon f/1.8 @ f/1.8

Super Takumar f/1.4 @ f/1.4

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4 in Manual Mode

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no differences , how about you ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the background of the C Zeiss the most pleasing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:

Yes, thanks Ron. Much less busy than on others.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
revers wrote:

Yes, thanks Ron. Much less busy than on others.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the faster lenses shot wide open, I prefer the bokeh of the Canon EF. It's softer, and the exposure also seems to be more accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon does the best job of making the background clearer, which is what I'd expect, the technology has moved on from the old manual lenses.

I've just bought a Pentacon 50 1.8, but haven't really tried it yet. But it seems ok, not as good as my Helios though.

Interesting comparisons though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should make the exposure same for all pics. So we can compare. Or shoot in M mode.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to judge on these shots, since they show a different exposure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely the Tessar in the first set of piccies and a MOST definitely for the canon 1.4 @1.4 in the second set

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
You should make the exposure same for all pics. So we can compare. Or shoot in M mode.

Yes, I agree and that would make for another test.
What these images show is the different exposures selected by the camera for the same aperture.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Differing exposures are the most obvious characteristic separating the images, but to my eyes, the Tessar is far and away the most pleasing in the out of focus planes.