Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help needed on configuring EMF AF confirm adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Help needed on configuring EMF AF confirm adapter Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

I joined today in this forum and this is my first post here. Recently bought couple of manual lenses (mostly M42) for my Canon EOS 7D and an adapter (M42-EOS EMF programmable) to go with those lenses. Can anyone please explain me how to configure the adapter.

I was reading the instructions from the EMF forum website. For every instruction or step it is mentioned that "press shutter button once". Does this mean pressing shutter all the way down as in capturing a photo or press half way as in focusing? If it is pressing all the way down as in capturing it means that we need to click the shutter for 30 times to setup a single lens. And if I want to re-use the same adapter with another lens of different f-number and different focal length I have to do the entire configuration process with 30 odd shutter clicks once again. Am I correct. or am I missing something here?

Is there a way to re-use the adapter with multiple lenses without configuring to any particular lens? I tried doing this by keeping the camera in "M" mode and setting up explicit aperture (The aperture I need) and shutter speed and set to auto ISO. And set the lens to maximum aperture so that I can stop down aperture to the desired level once the frame is metered by the camera. But then the camera always thinks the frame is over exposed and keeps ISO very high at 3200 and even then complains that the shot is over exposed by at least 1-2 stops and images come washed out.

I bought at least 10 used manual lenses on ebay hoping that I would be able to use these wonderful lenses with my canon DSLR. and if I can't use these lenses the way I intended to, all the $1000 odd money I spent would go waste. Everybody who has experience with manual lenses and canon cameras with EMF adapters please explain me how to use the adapter to make it work with these lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Sreekanth
you have to press the shutter all way down, and indeed you have to press 30 times to program a single lens
some adapter can be programmed with the DOF button but mine work only with the shutter
the way of use this adapter is not easy and can bring overexposure if not used as described in the manual
if you cannot get used to the specific way of use a emf adapter, try a non programmable adapter or a adapter without chip

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you Poilu for the quick response. Now that I got answer to my basic doubts I'll probably ask more doubts here.

As the most important setting for using any lens in the canon camera system would be aperture as in the canon lenses that parameter is controlled by the camera, Is it safe to assume configuring the EMF adapter only for aperture of the lens is sufficient. so that the lens can be used in Av and M modes. Am I correct? and an adapter can be reused to as many lenses as possible with same aperture without re-configuring every time you want to change the lens.

Ideally speaking the adapter should work in Tv mode also. Shouldn't it?? why I'm asking is when you set in Tv mode the camera (I'm only talking about canon system here.) will calculate the requisite aperture and display it in the viewfinder. Once the camera does the exposure we should stop down the aperture to the value camera has calculated to capture the shot. Is this correct??

Thanks for the great insights.