Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help me buy my next lens .... or two !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Help me buy my next lens .... or two ! Reply with quote

Any of you guys have an opinion on these (IQ wise) ? I want to buy higher quality lenses without spending a fortune (don't we all !) and these are going locally :

Zeiss CONTAX CARL ZEISS Distagon T * 28/2.8 (PK mount) : US$520
Zeiss CONTAX CARL ZEISS Distagon T * 35 2.8 (PK Mount) : US$400
Contax Zeiss P 85 / F 1.4 MMJ : US$600
LEICA R 35-70/3.5 E60 (R mount to be converted or with adaptor US$25) : US$400
Contax Zeiss 35-70 zoom / 3.4 Macro : US$300
Leica R 100 4 Macro (R mount to be converted or with adaptor US$25) : US$400
LEICA R 24 2.8 (with hood) (R mount to be converted or with adaptor US$25) : US$530

I am currently using an SMC M 28/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, 43 Ltd and Tamron 17-50/2.8 in these ranges, on a K5. I am particularly interested in a prime around 20/24/28 for landscapes and probably the Zeiss 85/1.4 for portraiture. I'm also not sure if either of those zooms are good buys or not ?

Sorry for the list but all opinions valued and if there is something else I should be looking (under maybe US$700 per lens) please let me know !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2 zooms are very good, better take the contax for 300$
stay away from the Leica 24
those lens are great on full frame, less on crop
the pentax limited series look quite good from samples I have seen

btw you have great pics on your portfolio!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As poilu said before - with a K-5 I would go for Pentax lenses (for example Limited versions). I used few Leica lenses which I converted before to Nikon F-mount with my K-5 too. (only changing the F mount bayonet by a PK mount)

These lenses have an excellent IQ with Nikon D700 (FF) but with the K-5 (APC) I was more disappointed.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Pentax Limiteds ... Your K5 really deserves an FA-31 Wink ...
Otherwise, you could check also the Pentax-K 28/3.5 or the 28/2.0 (and both will make you forgot the 28/2.8 ) ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my standards, with those prices you WILL be spending a fortune. I say the same thing every time someone asks about a 28mm; the Vivitar Close Focus version is my pick.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies .... more food for thought.

I think I will go for the Zeiss 85/1.4. There is nothing else like it for the price, the Pentax equivalent is now around US$2,000 and more of a collector's piece (even though it's rated just as good as the Zeiss) !

Pentax Ltds are really superb lenses. I have the 43 Ltd and I use it a lot, the 77 Ltd is in the Zeiss 85/1.4 range but sells for $900 here so I'm paying $300 more for AF but 2/3 stop slower. The 31 Ltd is a legendary lens - but costs $1,300+ here - which is why I use the Sigma 30/1.4 in it's place, the centre sharpness is higher but the corners and micro-contrast not as good ... but then again it was only $450 ! Many of the shots on this link were taken with the 30/1.4 http://frogfish.smugmug.com/Other/Wenzhou-Zhejiang/18324886_8xRQ82#1410979676_76FjMmM. However I'd like a lense with more sharpness across the frame for landscapes, hence the reason I'm looking at the Distagons / Leicas.

Rolf - your comments are very interesting, and sobering !

Thank you Poliu - very happy to see people visiting, and enjoying, my SmugMug site !

I'm going to have to check out that K28/2.0 - thanks for the tip Indianadinos ! These two below were taken last week with the M28/2.8 but frankly I'm a little disappointed in this lens. EDIT : Just checked out the K28/2 here and it's selling for .... US$1,200 !!! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Frogfish wrote:

These two below were taken last week with the M28/2.8 but frankly I'm a little disappointed in this lens. EDIT : Just checked out the K28/2 here and it's selling for .... US$1,200 !!! Shocked

I can understand, i have been disappointed by my two M28/2.8 (first and second version) too, that's why i switched to the K28/3.5 ...
Much better contrast and sharpness starting wide open (and, often, underrated and underpriced Wink ) ...

The K28/2 was designed in collaboration with Zeiss, it is a stunning lens. If i remember well, it shares the same optical scheme as the Distagon.
Some members here have published great samples, just search in the galleries ... Unluckily, it is expensive here, too Evil or Very Mad ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new review / test on Pentax Forums might be of interest to some (comparison of the Zeiss 28/2.8 to the legendary Pentax 31 Ltd):

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/154533-shootout-fa31-limited-vs-contax-zeiss-28mm-f2-8-%96-zeiss-limiteds-peer.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeiss planar 85/1.4 is my personal favorite on FF, and from what ive seen i do not think one can get a better lens at even twice the price. having said that i have recently seen at least two for sale on ebay for under $600usd.

as for 28's, unless youre committed to high prices, have you thought of yashica ml 28/2.8, or kiron 28/2.0? i have both and they perform better to my eye than the pictures you've posted here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts & advice in this thread.

Today I bought both the Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8 in beautiful condition and a Zeiss 85/1.4 in pristine condition (I had my little repair shop guy check them out for me) and I'm now having them both converted to PK mount (reversible), they should be back in 7-10 days - all for less than the cost of a 31 Ltd. Now I'm like a child with Xmas just days away Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, they are both superb lenses! The 85/1.4 is just stunning in every way and the 28/2.8 is a great "normal" lens on crop. I went on holiday last week and took only the Distagon 28/2.8 with my Nex, results were superb Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Congratulations, they are both superb lenses! The 85/1.4 is just stunning in every way and the 28/2.8 is a great "normal" lens on crop. I went on holiday last week and took only the Distagon 28/2.8 with my Nex, results were superb Smile

Thanks Graham ... not long to go now !