Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help identifying CZJ Tessar 5,5cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Help identifying CZJ Tessar 5,5cm Reply with quote

Hello,

Can anybody help identifying this Tessar 5,5cm 1:4,5 serial #2749361?

The year is 1940 or 1941 according to the SN.
The seller says the thread is M39. Does that make it an enlarger lens?
I haven't heard about CZJ enlarger lenses and the internet doesn't give much about 55mm tessars (there have been made some 55mm for "detective camera", but much earlier)

Thank you,
Happy new year!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss did make enlarger lenses, I have an uncoated 75mm Tessar one. Doesn't look anything like this one though. No idea what this may be, could be a DIY remounting of a lens from one of the old Francke & Heidecke stereo cameras (Heidoscop, Rolleiscop).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen information related to 5.5cm tessars used with stereo cameras. Those Tessars were much older, with numbers ~1mln.

I wonder could that m39 Tessar be designed for Leicas? It's kinda weak, though... Who would want to use a slow f4.5 tessar not competitive to Elmar 50 anyway? It rather would have been a 50/2.8 Tessar in that case.

Does anybody with the Thiele's book can tell from the lens' number?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i've seen the site wich shows the triple lens stereo camera's and i must say the that the 5.5cm 4.5 tessar looks exactly the same as in you pictures.
maybe its a later sample a thus the long serial number?

edit* OR maybe its from this camera:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the firsr one looks different, it has visible aperture ring with aperture markings, which is not visible neither on stereo- nor on detective cameras.
Maybe it is indeed a lens for an enlarger.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No focus mechanism so not RF. It could well be an enlarger lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wartime serial - at that time, many Tessars were used in aerial photography evaluation systems (essentially map projectors).