Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

help identify this mount!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: help identify this mount! Reply with quote

can anybody tell me what i am dealing with here?
its a vivitar 100mm f/2.8 i want to use with my canon 5dii..
seems like it was meant to be used with an adapter of some sort...
TIA,
econ

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: help identify this mount! Reply with quote

econ3000 wrote:
can anybody tell me what i am dealing with here?
its a vivitar 100mm f/2.8 i want to use with my canon 5dii..
seems like it was meant to be used with an adapter of some sort...
TIA,
econ

Canon FD? If so, about the only mount you can't use on your 5D without an optical adapter and still get infinity focus..........

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: pics Reply with quote

the pics worked when i previewed my post... i am new here so pardon me while i try to figure things out. here they are again...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looks like a breechblock type so muct be FL or FD as Martyn says.

The register is a couple of mm shorter than the EOS register so you would have to remove that amount from the back of the lens. As the rear element doesn't protrude this can be done if you're handy.

Or sell it to a micro four thirds user who can use it with an adapter...

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: pics Reply with quote

econ3000 wrote:
the pics worked when i previewed my post... i am new here so pardon me while i try to figure things out. here they are again...

it's an anti-spam measure, on the first ever post of the user pictures do not show, after that they show as they should

econ3000 wrote:

what puzzles me is the a/m switch on this lens...is it possible that this lens has some kind of adapter screwed on, and that it is an m42 lens really?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: pics Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

what puzzles me is the a/m switch on this lens...is it possible that this lens has some kind of adapter screwed on, and that it is an m42 lens really?

M42 lenses aren't the only ones with A/M switches, e.g. Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 has one. I would guess that this is Canon FL or FD mount.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Vivitar lens..

Vivitar did produce lenses for nearly all mounts... and integrated the A/M switch on the main body and only the mounts are different assembled for each modell (M42, Nikon, Canon FD ... )

so the A/M switch is for M42 cams.. and this is a FD Version of the shown lens

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can intrude, so I don't open a new topic - can someone just confirm that this is m42 mount? It's Auto Revuenon Special 135/2.8.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volunteer wrote:
If I can intrude, so I don't open a new topic - can someone just confirm that this is m42 mount? It's Auto Revuenon Special 135/2.8.

Yes, this one is M42.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: pics Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

OP: +1 Does the adapter unscrew from lens?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hinnerker wrote:

so the A/M switch is for M42 cams..

Why would A/M be M42 specific. Like I said above, I have a Canon lens for Canon FL mount with an A/M switch…

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: pics Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Doesn't look like an adapter to me, and the lens would lose infinity focus if adapting from M42 to an “inverted” mount. Of course there could be some non-M42 mount underneath, similar to Adaptall and such, but as there is no obvious way of removing the adapter I doubt this is the case.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: pics Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Doesn't look like an adapter to me, and the lens would lose infinity focus if adapting from M42 to an “inverted” mount. Of course there could be some non-M42 mount underneath, similar to Adaptall and such, but as there is no obvious way of removing the adapter I doubt this is the case.

Looks to me like a T2 (or YS) to FD/FL adapter that unscrews...

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: but if you notice... Reply with quote

unlike most mounts this one is more like a female than a male. if you look closely at the notches and you will see that they do not extend outward from the center of the lens like on almost any other mount (ef, om, ni, md, etc), but rather are cut out from the edges of the first control ring (like negative space).

i am guessing this thing is something like a proprietary vivitar "adaptall-esque" mount that is missing the brand specific adapter that originally came with it.

that would make the most sense to me anyways...

that first ring (closest to the mount with the notches cut into it) turns and clicks into position, making it line up with the A or M markings on the 2nd ring, and locking the missing adapter in place...

update:
i just did some searching and i am now pretty sure it is a Vivitar TX mount in need of an adapter.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important help in identifying lensmount is the documentation of Rick Oleson:
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html.

I think your lens mount is different from his picture of a TX mount.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: but if you notice... Reply with quote

econ3000 wrote:
unlike most mounts this one is more like a female than a male. if you look closely at the notches and you will see that they do not extend outward from the center of the lens like on almost any other mount (ef, om, ni, md, etc), but rather are cut out from the edges of the first control ring (like negative space).

i am guessing this thing is something like a proprietary vivitar "adaptall-esque" mount that is missing the brand specific adapter that originally came with it.

that first ring (closest to the mount with the notches cut into it) turns and clicks into position, making it line up with the A or M markings on the 2nd ring, and locking the missing adapter in place...

update:
i just did some searching and i am now pretty sure it is a Vivitar TX mount in need of an adapter.

That is a Canon FD mount (or FD adapter) on the lens. I think it will unscrew, revealing T2 threads, which any T2 adapter for any camera will fit:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: but if you notice... Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
econ3000 wrote:

update:

That is a Canon FD mount (or FD adapter) on the lens. I think it will unscrew, revealing T2 threads, which any T2 adapter for any camera will fit:

I agree on the Canon FD mount, looks like it should unscrew as you say.