Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HELP !!! Aperture Blades Issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: HELP !!! Aperture Blades Issue Reply with quote

I have a Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 AEG Contax Lens and i noticed that at f/11 its already closed completely and when i stop it to f/16 it remains the same. Also when i have it at f/1.4 wide open i can still see the blades a little bit.they are not completely hidden. Whats going on ? Is my copy damaged ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: HELP !!! Aperture Blades Issue Reply with quote

If the blades are not closing down from f11 to f16 and also remaining partially closed when they're supposed to be wide open, then I'd consider that a problem. I assume that you use this lens in your comparisons, yes?

Damaged? Probably not. They more likely need to be re-lubed or aligned, I'd think.

Yahvel wrote:
I have a Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 AEG Contax Lens and i noticed that at f/11 its already closed completely and when i stop it to f/16 it remains the same. Also when i have it at f/1.4 wide open i can still see the blades a little bit.they are not completely hidden. Whats going on ? Is my copy damaged ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP !!! Aperture Blades Issue Reply with quote

Yahvel wrote:

are blades clean or have oil on them? sometimes that prevents aperture to work properly. also maybe one of the blades is out it's place and that's why you can see blades at f1.4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lenses have a disk(A) or cup that sandwiches the aperture blades with another disk(B) that many times has slots in it and is controlled by the aperture mechanism, when disk(B) rotates it causes the blades to move.

Rotating Disk(A) will also cause the blades to move, it is normally set to a calibrated position and secured, if it shifted, you will get a similar result as the issue you have, blades don't fully open, and close too soon & too much, the other way is also possible, reaches wide open too soon, and never fully stops down.

There are other aperture designs that differ from this type.