Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Helios Reply with quote

A few shops in town (Here in Calcutta) seem to have Zenit TTL and Zenit 122 cameras lying about mounted with normal lenses. Mostly screw mount 50mms with an occassional K mount one.

Which of the Helios normals in K mount are worth having a look at?

Arijit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the k-mount ones from my understanding where the later ones. Ie 44m-4 44-m5 44-m6 etc etc.

They are all good! meaning they were all mufti-coated by that stage. The early Helios 44m2 had a tone of blades which gave it that "swirly" out of focus effect.

As for as 58mm f2 prime is concerned. Any of them are good Smile Get the nicest looking one Razz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
The early Helios 44m2 had a tone of blades which gave it that "swirly" out of focus effect.

The number of blades has nothing to do with the "swirly" OOF effect, that's a product of the optical design, more blades typically gives a smoother bokeh when stopping down.
Quote:

As for as 58mm f2 prime is concerned. Any of them are good Smile Get the nicest looking one Razz

The various Helios 58/2 versions are generally under rated due to their source(USSR) and cost, just keep in mind that it's a Zeiss design.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a K mount one it will have a K not an M in the label - eg 44K-4 rather than 44M-4.

An M screw mount one is a good buy too, m42-k adapters are so cheap on ebay.

BTW, the swirly bokeh is due to spherical abberation mostly, not the number of aperture blades. The later 44M-4 are sometimes swirlier than older ones with more blades and besides, you mostly see the swirl when you shoot wide open.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super good points guys.

I didn't seem to think to much before I posted that last one. Embarassed Next time, read the question I shall Razz

I dont know what i was thinking re swirly bokeh, all the blades would be hidden against the barrel either way. I have to 44m-4's and neither present that swirly out of focus effect (for which I'm glad) I hadn't realized they changed the optical formula along the run somewhere..... or they didn't and mine just aren't swirly :S

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swirlyness really depends on the distance to the plane of focus, and what's in the background.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: helios Reply with quote

Thanks a ton folks. I saw them again today.. will wait till a M42-K adapter reaches me... and the Screw mount ones are more common than the K Bayonet ones. 50mm, 55mm,58mm - yes the 58mm f2 too.

Intend to try my hand at portraits... and that adapter shall let me use my Dad's CZ Pancolar 50mm f1.8...

Quite inexpensive really these helios' are - 20-30 USD and I will bargain... Now for that adapter.... Evil or Very Mad