Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44K-4 Multi-Coated?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Helios 44K-4 Multi-Coated? Reply with quote

I have a question for all of the Helios experts out there concerning the Helios 44K-4.

Most of the Helios 44's that have I have seen that have multi-coating have an 'MC' imprinted on the ring on the front of the lens. I have read in many places that it is thought that all of the 44K-4 versions of this lens are multi-coated, but I have seen copies of the lens that had Latin style lettering with and without the 'MC' so I assumed that some did and some didn't have multi-coating. But in looking at these lenses I noticed that I have never seen a copy of the 44K with cyrillic lettering that had an 'MC' on it (maybe I've just never come across one), implying that none of the non-exported versions had multi-coating. I've never checked the serial numbers to compare build dates of various lenses, so I wonder if it was just originally assumed that it was multi-coated so they didn't bother to mark it on domestic lenses? Is there any way to tell if the lens is single or multi-coated by just looking at it.

Thanks,
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a single-coated K-mount Helios-44. Moreover, only MC versions of this lens (the 44K variants) are mentioned on the factory Web site: http://www.zenitcamera.com/archive/lenses/helios-44.html

MC versions of Helios lenses usually have bright, saturated pink, blue, magenta and orange reflections, with some elements still reflecting pale yellow. Non-MC (single coated) Helios-44 lens reflections were typically pale yellow with magenta and/or purple elements.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aoleg for the info on the color of the coatings I'll check mine out. The reason I asked the question was that I had read the factory site and had always thought that was the case concerning the MC, that all of the 44K's had it. But a quick search of the web produced the following images:

This first one shows a 44K lens with Latin text and and 'MC'

This one is Latin text without the 'MC'

Cyrillic lettering without the 'MC'

Another cyrillic lettering without the 'MC' (I've only seen about a half dozen or so of these cyrillic ones and I have never seen one with 'MC' printed on it)

The Rear of the second lens with cyrillic lettering, the light reflections appear to me to be pink, blue and orange suggesting multi-coating

If these are in fact all multi-coated, and they just printed it on some of them, it might also mean that some of the 44m-4 that don't have 'MC' on them may be multi-coated as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manufacturer site is very incomplete. I wouldn't rely on its information. I haven't held any Helios 44K lens in my hands but some of them definitely don't look MC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned the 44K 4. For several years and mine is NOT multicoated . It is single coated on the outer element at least . A lens shade works wonders on it ( but it works wonders on most lenses ) and I like its colors very much . I have to admit that I like many single and non coated lenses though .