Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Helios 44-2 Reply with quote

I also have a Helios 44-2, for about a week now. Bill reminded me that I needed to get out and shoot with this lens. Took a couple of quick test shots in between yard work this morning. First time shooting with a lens with M42 mount, used an adapter on my Nikon D3. I noticed two things. First aperture and focus rings are in reversed locations (had to keep reminding myself about this). The second thing that I noticed was the aperture settings are reversed (at least on my copy), when set wide open it was on the f/16 mark and when fully closed it was on the f/2 mark. Is this normal or has someone reassembled this lens incorrectly (this is where my inexperience really shines through Very Happy )

f/2

f/5.6 (I think - because of reversed markings)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shoot! Your lens is reassembled wrongly, very simple lens you can fix by your self.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
very simple lens you can fix by your self.

You don't know me very well, Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Michael
Your lens is a preset one.
You use one ring to preset the aperture and the other for quick switching between open diaphragm to focus and closed to shot.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha! I learn something new today!
(good thing I do not embarrass easy Very Happy )

I have grown up in the Auto-Focus age and my growth has be stunted Twisted Evil

There is still hope for me!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you got a pre-set model? Geez you're lucky, those are very nice
to have!

Nice ones, BTW, keep clicking! :)Luv the bokeh in these, too!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill should I mention I got it for $12 US.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russian lens price really not shows their value... this is almost true for every MF lenses if you compare with AF lenses price.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Bill should I mention I got it for $12 US.

Aw, that just pisses me off! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, if you need any variant of Helios let me know I will buy for you here if you want any. I am pretty sure price will around 10 US or less, shipping cost is high for international shipping that is true, but if you need more variant should reasonable.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
Ah ha! I learn something new today!
(good thing I do not embarrass easy Very Happy )

I have grown up in the Auto-Focus age and my growth has be stunted Twisted Evil

There is still hope for me!

Nice pics Mike, really well done for a first with a manual focus M42 lens!

It sounds as though you've found out about the separate preset and stop-down rings OK, but this pic might help - one of the red dots has to be ignored:

I love the continuous stop-down ring on this lens. Using it with Av mode is like having a DOF or bokeh-control. The camera will adjust the shutter speed as you turn the ring.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Attila, if you find the 44-2, preset, let me know, thanks. Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could of used that photo earlier this morning Very Happy

What confused me this morning, was the outer ring did not move. I could tell it was supposed to but it would not budge. I figured out it was because both rings were set at 2.8 and there was no way for the ring to move. When I get some more time I will shot with this lens again.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maddog10 wrote:
I could of used that photo earlier this morning Very Happy

What confused me this morning, was the outer ring did not move. I could tell it was supposed to but it would not budge. I figured out it was because both rings were set at 2.8 and there was no way for the ring to move. When I get some more time I will shot with this lens again.

Mike, you'd better send that lens to me before you hurt yourself! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you what - I'll swap your D3 for my D200 and three Presets for you to practise with Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

Actually the D3 has seen little use lately. I have been trying my hand at film with an F5 (just finished the first roll today) and I have ordered a D40 so that I can shoot the Pre-Ai Nikon lenses that I have. Now I am also considering a rangefinder. May as well get a medium and large format outfit while I am at it. Very Happy Does it ever end? Rolling Eyes