Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Having fun on ebay
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Having fun on ebay Reply with quote

Sometimes people selling things on ebay are tempted to use it as a literary outlet.

This guy has way too much fun selling his stuff -

http://cgi.ebay.com/890mm-of-TERRORISM-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ180442552304QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item2a0336d7f0

"Dear Large Format friends, it has been too long since I have sold a nice bit of the glasses to the masses!! Allow me to wipe a tear from the corner of my eye since I have missed you so, I get sentimental like that Wink The world changes and often not always for the better, a case in point is the issue of terrorism. Not just ordinary chucking a bomb at you or blasting your home or workplace with an AK but terrorism of the silver halide.

For many years the singular silver halide has been coddled, been taken care of with soft German lenses made by Carlos Zeiss. CZ lenses as we all know are not truly sharp and thats because Mr Zeiss believed the silver halide to be a living creature and felt bad when it was 'cut' by sharp lenses, often his pillow would be stained with his tears...a sad but little known fact. Inexplicably many photographers followed his vision(which wasn't that good) and used his lenses and gushed forth with the most blubbery and flowery terms like 'Bokeh' to describe and attribute that any other lens manufacturer would be ASHAMED to admit....softness, blurriness et al. A defect became a selling point and now so many thousands of otherwise knowledgeable LF shooters wax and while their time away in the poetry of the imagined.

But let us in one sweep of the hand clear the clutter of this despicable situation and gaze once and for all at a CLEAR AND SHARP image created by a talisman of technology!! Let us not tolerate the tyranny of this optical tsetse!!! Gaze with new found wonder and childlike amazement at the ground glass while each and every detail of this great planet unfolds and unfurls the very pageant of life before your eyes. No detail too small is hidden, no shadow too deep to be impenetrable, no highlight too bright to be tamed.

Gentlemen we come to brass tacks, this is a VERY compact lens of 890mm focal length and of the tried trusted and true Goerz Red Dot formula, four elements working with unparalleled precision and harmony to produce the sharpest negative you have yet to experience. The glass is single coated and has a fresh minty smell similar to a high end toothpaste. A cap and flange are provided by the generous hand of fate for which your enjoyment has so bountifully been provided. For those who like numbers here are a few....Serial number 9 521 296, F14, 35" focal length which means you WILL need 35" of bellows for infinity focus and more for closer objects, as to coverage...extend your arms as far as you can...look at your right index finger(you can twiddle it if you like) then turn your head to the left and do the same....thats about the image circle from this lens. A mount hole of a mere 94mm is needed to place this beast on a lensboard, yes indeed this is a very compact lens. The aperture is as smooth as my silk underwear Wink "

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust him. Laughing

too bad he never joined the forum. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really. Let's see if he is interested. Sounds like a hoot

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he safely added 'Rodenstock Apo Ronar' otherwise his lens could have gone for 50$ with this kind of description

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

too bad he never joined the forum. Laughing

He's a steady participant over at largeformatphotography, and a expert LF lens dealer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, reliable and knowledgeable guy, I know Andy Glover since many years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked him a question about http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180442601121&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_2147wt_962

Asked him if it was an AI-converted lens? As the serial number is from a 20/4 -K . Anyone knows the english word for the thing with the 2 ears of which you can identify it is an AI(s)-lens? It seems to be screwed on this lens. Andy asks how you can see if it would be AI-converted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyranny of the optical tsetse! is priceless! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DikkieDick wrote:
I asked him a question about http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180442601121&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123#ht_2147wt_962

Asked him if it was an AI-converted lens? As the serial number is from a 20/4 -K . Anyone knows the english word for the thing with the 2 ears of which you can identify it is an AI(s)-lens? It seems to be screwed on this lens. Andy asks how you can see if it would be AI-converted.

That is an AI converted lens, yes. It has been converted with the Nikon factory kit.

The item you refer to is usually called "rabbit ears" but is not a reliable indication that the lens is AI'ed. What to look for is the back of the aperture ring, next to the mount. An AI'ed lens has a ridge running partly round (for the aperture sensor), plus another very short part sticking out (for the minimum aperture sensing switch), while the rest of the aperture ring is flush with the mount.

A pre-AI lens has the aperture ring sticking out all the way round.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AI mounts first appeared when the K-mount was still being produced.The tail end of the 4/20 production run were factory converted to AI before they were made available to the public.So more then a few 4/20 lenses,though they have the K mount sequential serial numbers were indeed AI and not K mount lenses.Looking at the serial number of the lens of 124081 it would fall at the tail end of the 103011 - 125156 sequential run,so I would suspect this lens was indeed factory converted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could well be. Mine is 109436 so early in the series (103011 - 125156); it came to me as pre-AI and I converted it using a kit which I purchased separately.

Its a fine lens, though I may be selling it in the new year as I have another at that focal length (hopefully, an upgrade) coming for my birthday Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a fondness for small compact lenses,I do plan to acquire a Nikkor 4/20 someday.For a time last spring I was following a few 4/20's on ebay,but when the time came for the final bid I had already blown my wad on another lens or two.

The Nikkor 3.5/20 also has a good repetition shooting distance shots on film...and an even better repetition then the 4/20 shooting closeups digitally.Someday down the road I would like to acquire this lens as well the 4/20.

Having the Nikkor AI-S 3.5/18,2.8/20,24 & 28 in my collection,hasn't swayed my desire to still acquire either of these unpretentious compact lens....I plan to fill the holes in my Olympus Zuiko collection first though,before returning to expanding my Nikkor collection.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would like to place a bid, but unfortunately the shippingcost to Europe from the US is quite expensive (currently as expensive as the highest bid), so I prefer 'winning' lenses in the neighbourhood.