Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Have you ever seen/own/used this weird rokkor lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Have you ever seen/own/used this weird rokkor lens? Reply with quote

i was just inputing rokkor lenses into lens database here and among them i came across this weird one...
it's 40-80mm 2.8 zoom

what the heck is that lever for?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the wild and rare ones. I've never had it. The lever is to adjust the zoom.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More can be seen here: http://www.trenholm.org/hmmerk/HMbook12.html#anchor872406

And this said by David Kilpatrick:
Quote:
"The Rokkor was one of the first two truly high quality midrange zooms ever designed. The other, launched in the year, was Canon's first 35-70mm f2.8. The 'throttle control' zoom (like a vintage car dashboard advance-retard lever... or your lawn mower...) was also unique because the internal zooming ran in flat tracks instead of a helicoid/tube. This allowed the groups to move independently of each other with corrections for every focal length, not just an optimised correction. As a result, this lens has perhaps the highest quality of any similar zoom made until very recently. It is a collector's item, originally cost far more than the SRT303b, and should be treated as such. Expect it to sell only to a serious collector, no-one else would appreciate it. It dates, I think, from 1974 as I was still working at a newspaper when I got that lens to use for a while on the new XE-1."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
The lever is to adjust the zoom.

yeah,after inputing into lenses database for 6h at 3am i wasn't thinking clearest ;o))) it only dawned on me when i turned off my laptop and went to bed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! I'd love to see some samples, I wonder if the lever and internal construction paid off.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look as easy to use. I don't remember me to have ever seen the lens before, however it is from a time that I was quite active as amateur photographer and I purchased my first XE-1.