Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hard task! (Almost spy-like)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Hard task! (Almost spy-like) Reply with quote

Hi, i just received this phone call from my uncle asking me this:
How to take a picture from a truck (!!!??!?!?) from a hundrer meters away, while i'm in a moving car, in the middle of the night, and he can't be noticed!! It's to take the car number from guys of the black market i think. He doesn't have a camera, (not even a small one) but i guess he's not spending much money for that. So i gave him the option of a film reflex with IR sensitive film, with an IR-converted flash. Or, a film reflex with an ASA6400 film. The other choices i gave him were digital, sigma sd14 for ir-sensitivity and nikon d700 for high iso. But, there are more ways to do this? Will the flash (eg: sigma dg st 500) hold on for 100 meters, while converted? Safety's first and those sounds like REAL bad guys, so security's first.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about informing the police instead of taking the risk?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video camera with a nightshot mode might be one option, possibly supplemented with IR illuminators. The camera could be running constantly and so would not require aiming or timing, and post-processing (e.g. frame stacking) could be used to enhance stills from the video.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
What about informing the police instead of taking the risk?

Well, private security is his business...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Arkku suggestion ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
Some random thoughts.
First of all is to be seen what the level of illumination will really be. In a urban area probably there'll be street lights which will help a lot and thus not needing particular things.
I think a Metz 60 with the telephoto attachment (you can find 'em used) should reach 100 meters, but also, using a flash is out of question if one wants to stay invisible. A Nikon DSLR, or even Canon, can be remotely controlled by a laptop if needed. Film Canons and Nikons can be triggered with IR remotes in case of necessity.
A long long telephoto lens will come handy, 300mm +.
Using a consumer movie camera, as suggested before, might be a good idea as long the lens can reach as far away as needed. A pro model, which would allow interchangeable lenses, would be, I think, way too expensive.

Cheers, M.-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
Video camera with a nightshot mode might be one option, possibly supplemented with IR illuminators. The camera could be running constantly and so would not require aiming or timing, and post-processing (e.g. frame stacking) could be used to enhance stills from the video.

+1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty wrote:

Using a consumer movie camera, as suggested before, might be a good idea as long the lens can reach as far away as needed.

One that has manual focus and exposure (aperture) control also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very late answer:
I made some tests with an old russian Cyclop night-vision scope. Without the IR illuminator I could see better with the adapted eye.
With Ir illuminator it gets better.
But the I took a picture with my IR modified EOS 350D - and that was much, much better.

So I think he should test if viewing with a astro telescope with ~ 150 mm mirror diameter could do the task - but with dark adaptet eyes - so only dim redlight (bet LED redlight) is allowed 20 minutes before that - no other light.

Or, if he have to take photos:
A good infrared flash - I think some of the IR conversions of IR flashes are still visible in the night - the used filters don´t defeat 100,0000% of the white light.
And then a DSLR camera (with large pixel size), best with live view, probably video output, modified without IR-cut filter inside. And a telephoto lens on it - probably a mirror lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he doesn't own a camera, the best would be to get a video camera with night mode. They also got nice zoom, like 15x w/o reducing size and like 30x when you shoot a 640x480 video.