Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gretag f=120 fixed aperture industrial lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
eggplant wrote:

I have read a fair few of his articles and need to ask him about how he gets, for example, quality Schneider Componons so cheap and regularly.

I haven't seen the articles on spotting correct devices though, so I would be interested to see.

Of course he doesn't really write articles about how you find unknown lenses in general, but he often provides hints inside of his lens tests and shares the name of the machines those lenses were used in. In a majority of cases that's enough to see if there's one available in a reasonable distance to where you live. And by looking up those devices and let's say some old comparison test of those (like scanner tests from magazines etc.) you can find viable alternatives, where you could find other interesting candidates for lenses to adapt. Of course you are the one doing the majority of the work, but I guess there's just no way around that. And to be completely honest, it still takes lots and lots of luck to find the right thing at the right time and get it, particularly, when it's a 'newly discovered' outstanding lens, like the Minolta DiMage scan elite lens or stuff like that, where many others may be aware of it as well. Word gets around very quick in our day and age after all...

Yeah. And I'm getting ahead of myself here, because the tests are outstanding and great to read. Ahead of literally anyone else.

Hell he even did the film scanner lens from my Artixscan 4000T and gently let me down on that (although it's still fairly good).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted a Gretag zoom with diaphram in the French ebay, and while I was making questions to the seller, someone promptly took it. Hope this will give place to a report here in the forum!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Yes:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62096078
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62096302

Thanks - that looks quite impressive.

Acting well from nearby to long distances. The reason why I embedded it in a 135mm lens barrel and extended the throw of its helicoid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
The 120mm works best around 1:1. I'm surprised at the nice results at infinity. I have used them for coin imaging of small coins and they work great. Far as I can tell they are apochromatic.

Thanks a lot for that assessment - I'm not surprised that you have one of those. Have you compared it to the Makro-Symmar? If so, is it as similar in terms of coin-rendering as Robert described the results of his tests? And do you have any clue on the construction. Is it one of the more common 6/4 constructions or something different?

I don't have a 120MS so can't compare, but I've had good luck using the 120G as a tube lens with several objectives. Since it is macro-corrected it does not act as a standard infinite tube lens, imparting some optical interaction with the objective. This works well with some objectives, but not with others. I bought mine with intent to use as macro/coin lenses, but the focal length does not integrate well in my compact setups.

I actually have a few of them, and one has some damage. I have considered disassembling it, but have never done so. I expect it is quite simple inside.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

Yeah. And I'm getting ahead of myself here, because the tests are outstanding and great to read. Ahead of literally anyone else.

Hell he even did the film scanner lens from my Artixscan 4000T and gently let me down on that (although it's still fairly good).

Indeed - glad you agree. Robert covers a lot of stuff no one else had thought about and is very generous in sharing what he finds out in general! I'd encourage anyone who finds it helpful to click the like button on his articles and maybe even drop him a nice message with a thank you!

Ernst Dinkla wrote:

Acting well from nearby to long distances. The reason why I embedded it in a 135mm lens barrel and extended the throw of its helicoid.

Wonderful - thanks for showing that.

Ray Parkhurst wrote:

I don't have a 120MS so can't compare, but I've had good luck using the 120G as a tube lens with several objectives. Since it is macro-corrected it does not act as a standard infinite tube lens, imparting some optical interaction with the objective. This works well with some objectives, but not with others. I bought mine with intent to use as macro/coin lenses, but the focal length does not integrate well in my compact setups.

I actually have a few of them, and one has some damage. I have considered disassembling it, but have never done so. I expect it is quite simple inside.

Very interesting - thanks! I thought you had a MS120 for sure, given that you used it as a benchmark for one of your big tests, if memory serves me right. So I guess it was a loaner then. Indeed, 120 mm might not be ideal for a lot of the stuff you specialize on. But if you decide to part with a couple of them I'm sure some people here might be interested.

If you ever open it up, I would certainly love to know what it is in terms of elements/groups.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="simple.joy"]
eggplant wrote:

Very interesting - thanks! I thought you had a MS120 for sure, given that you used it as a benchmark for one of your big tests, if memory serves me right. So I guess it was a loaner then. Indeed, 120 mm might not be ideal for a lot of the stuff you specialize on. But if you decide to part with a couple of them I'm sure some people here might be interested.

If you ever open it up, I would certainly love to know what it is in terms of elements/groups.

I did a shootout for 80mm lenses that included the 80MS, but have never tested a 120MS.

Maybe I'll open up the damaged one, and if I do I'll publish results here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:

I did a shootout for 80mm lenses that included the 80MS, but have never tested a 120MS.

You're right - that makes a lot of sense given the focal length of the test... it didn't occur to me.

Ray Parkhurst wrote:

Maybe I'll open up the damaged one, and if I do I'll publish results here.

That's great, thanks a lot!