Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Good wide angle zooms
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flavio81: You're still outside OP's criteria,
and you may not realize just how difficult it can be to obtain
an ultra-wide angle lens.

Fisheye? Sure, those are common and everywhere.
Ultrawide and rectilinear? Really, not so much.

A 14mm rectilinear lens for a Canon 5D4 is not nearly as common
as it is for something like a 40D or Micro-4/3rds or others,
while the others have had their places set in the lens categories.

Navigating lenses of any given camera system can be difficult,
but if you know what you have to work with, it shouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
For crop body applications, I've found that it's best just to buy lenses designed for them. Ultrawides designed for 35mm cameras just don't work very well on them. I have both a Tamron and a Tokina 17mm f/3.5 and their performance on my crop body digitals are sub-par.

For 35mm or full-frame use, then it's a different matter. I own both a Vivitar S1 24-48 and a Tamron SP 24-48 and they are both great performers. I also own a Tamron AF 24-70 Aspherical that I bought new back in 1994 that is a very nice lens. But it is AF, so . . .

I've had the Vivitar SI 24 - 48 / 3.8 and the Tokina 17 / 3.5 for a long time, I've used them a lot on my Pentax K10, NEX5, A6000 and A7II.
The Vivitar was almost certainly my most used lens on the K10, and it was very good. I don't use it as much on the Sony's as it is a bulky lens, but I am starting to use it again on the A7II as it is bigger and feels more comfortable, which is of course full frame, and it really is a remarkable lens. I've had three Vivitar S1 28 - 90 / 2.8 3.5 lenses in the hope that they matched the the performance of the 24 - 48, but it doesn't come close. Neither did the S1 35 - 85 / 2.8 which was a great dissapointment, I've had two copies of that, again in the hope that it matched the 24 - 48.

The Tokina 17 / 3.5 was also a favourite of mine with the crop sensor cameras, and it's even better on the full frame. It's always in my camera bag. I think it deserves its reputation as a great lens.

My Soligor CD Macro 24-45mm f3.5-4.5 isn't a bad lens - but it's not great. It's a SUN lens - and lives up to my poor experiences of SUN lenses.

I like this lens though - Olympus Zuiko S. Auto Zoom 35-70mm f4. I don't use it a lot, but I'm not dissapointed by it.

I've never been a Sigma fan , but I make an exception for this lens - Sigma Zoom 28-70mm f2.8 this is exceptional. I bought it as junk, it was a sticky mess as the surface was melting, but it cleaned up and has remained ok. It's a winner.

The Sigma Aspherical 24-70mm f3.5 / 5.6 is a lens I wanted to like, but I don't think its as good as the 28 - 70. Both of the Sigma's are CY Mount so I'm keeping one - the Aspherical is in my for sale boxes.

Tamron Compact Zoom. 07A 28-50mm f3.5 / 4.5
Tamron 59A 28-79mm f3.5 / 4.5
Tamron BBAR MC. 44A CF Macro 28-70mm f3.5 / 4.5
Tamron SP. CF Macro. 27A 28-80mm f3.5 / 4.2
I need to do a shootout with the Tamron's, I'm not sure off the top of my head which of these I rate as the best? None are in my for sale boxes though.

Minolta MD Zoom 28-70mm f3.5 / 4.8 - nothing to get excited about. I think it's a rebranded Cosina ?

Kiron 28-70mm f3.5 / 4.5 An absolute dog. I gave it away.

Tokina SD. Macro 28-70mm f3.5 / 4.5 - It's in the for sale box as my beloved Vivitar S1 24 48 is also PK mount and it's no contest choice for me.

And I recently got a Pentax A Zoom 28-80mm f3.5 / 4.5 which I think will be a lot better than the Tokina ? but I haven't used it yet.

I like the idea of wide zooms, but I rarely use them, maybe if it's raining and I don't want to be changing lenses in the wild. I certainly wouldn't be without one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to recenter the discussion a little bit. Wide-angle zoom lenses by definition are lenses that start as wide angle and finish as wide-angle or standard focal lengths. Some just mentionned standard zoom lenses which oscillate around the 50 mm mark, venturing more or less into the wide angle and short tele lens domains. Could we agree on that ?
I have a number of wide-angle zooms that i like a lot :

Canon FD 20-35 mm f/3.5 L : as good as its successor, Canon EF 20-35 mm f/2.8 L. But it potentially suffers from rotten slider bearings which could completely throw off the floating mechanism and thus wreck the sharpness at all settings. If you can find a sound one (good luck), it might be the second best 20 something manual focusing wide-angle zoom (the Leica R 21-35 mm being the best). I've written a review (in German) here : https://volkergilbertphoto.com/canon-zoom-lens-fd-20-35-mm-f-35-l/

Sigma MF 21-35 mm f/3,5-4,2 : sometimes available as a manual focusing version, mechanically sound and optically astonishingly good, even though a little bit weaker at 35 mm. Very resistant to flare, some field curvature?. Review here : https://volkergilbertphoto.com/sigma-zoom-gamma-ii-21-35-mm-f-35-42/

Nikon Nikkor 25-50 mm f/4 (AI-AI-S) : massive, beautiful build. Very good optics (a little bit soft at 50 mm wide open). Huge and heavy but otherwise very nice lens.

Minolta MD (Rokkor) 24-50 mm f/4 : in terms of IQ, very similar to Nikkor equivalent, but nicer rendering (smoother bokeh, warmer colors), like the Nikkor quite sensitive to flare.

Tamron SP 24-48 mm f/3,5-3,8 : optically, as good as the Nikkor and Minolta lenses, nice, robust build, yet small and lightweight. Weird, difficult to find and expensive bayonet lens hood. Without, the lens is very prone to flare and parasites (BBAR coating quite subpar).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
For crop body applications, I've found that it's best just to buy lenses designed for them. Ultrawides designed for 35mm cameras just don't work very well on them. I have both a Tamron and a Tokina 17mm f/3.5 and their performance on my crop body digitals are sub-par.

For 35mm or full-frame use, then it's a different matter. I own both a Vivitar S1 24-48 and a Tamron SP 24-48 and they are both great performers.

I have a tamron SP use on activity trips. The S1 has a cord that controlled stop down, it pulled out an eyelet About 20 years ago), and getting it fixed is a nightmare.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsatian2017 wrote:
Minolta MD (Rokkor) 24-50 mm f/4 : in terms of IQ, very similar to Nikkor equivalent, but nicer rendering (smoother bokeh, warmer colors), like the Nikkor quite sensitive to flare.

The Minolta is good (for its age), but I do find the 0.7m MFD a bit of a limiting factor in the field...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Alsatian2017 wrote:

The Minolta is good (for its age), but I do find the 0.7m MFD a bit of a limiting factor in the field...

The lacking close-up capability is one of the the main limitations (with the weaker luminosity) of the wide-angle zooms. If you need both, you'll certainly be better off with a fixed focal lens. Nethertheless, I find the flexibility of zoom lenses very useful for the composition and framing of my landscape and city pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tamron 07a 28-50mm 3.5-4.5 is a good performer and has a pretty good cfd (0.25m at 40 to 50mm).

Daisy by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the CV 21mm f/3.5 and Minolta MD 35/2.8.

IMO it has a few advantages to use this setup instead of a wide angle zoom:
- They add only little weight to the camera (less strain on the neck) and are both very compact (the CV is very short and needs no adapter)
- I don't have to change the focal length in my camera all the time to activate image stabilization
- Both lenses have very good resolving power, so the allow perfectly for cropping

The CV is not cheap, but I will probably never replace it as it's all I'm looking for in a wide angle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was from the Laowa 10-18mm at 18mm (f11?) on Sony A7r3: