Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Good Minolta body?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Good Minolta body? Reply with quote

A friend is giving me a Tokina 3.5/17 (Chris's post reminded me) for
Minolta mount, and am wondering what would be a good SLR body to
stick this on. Thanks.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I understand you mean Minolta MD mount.

My first SLR was a Minolta X300 and I was very happy with it.
They are quite cheap at the eBay.
I'ts a mostly manual camera with the battery powering only the light meter. It performed very well with the Tamron Adaptall lenses.

Regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, thanks, and yes, MD mount. Will check for the X300.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such thing as "MD mount".

The mount itself is called SR mount, and there are features added to it. The original coupling for full-aperture metering is the "MC", and the extra coupling arm enabling the aperture to be set by the camera is "MD"

While Minolta lenses with automatic iris made after the advent of the XD models all have MD couplings, only four Minolta cameras can utilise that: XD7 (aka XD or XD11), XD5, XDS and X700, while others only need the MC coupling.

In that sense, the X300 can indeed take MD lenses, it only needs MC lenses to give full functionality. However, the earliest Minolta cameras prior to the Type V chassis are not compatible with lenses with MD coupling as the raised nameplate fouls the MD coupling arm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Seele.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
There is no such thing as "MD mount".

True ... but we've all been calling them "MC" and "MD" for so long that the terms have become synonymous ...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

True ... but we've all been calling them "MC" and "MD" for so long that the terms have become synonymous ...

Sure enough, but you won't want to run into compatibility issues though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed I put this thread in the wrong section, sheesh.