Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Going back to digital! :]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Going back to digital! :] Reply with quote

Hi, im new on the forums. Ive been taking B/w photos (ive always used manual focus lenses) since i was about 16, i got a minolta XD11 from my girlfriend when i got into college (best birthday gift ever Very Happy) had a rokkor lens and a few albinar MD mounts (not great lenses but nice to not worry about expensive glass haha)

So, I sold my Nikon d40 a while ago to fund my film shenanigans, but im not a photo major and they wont let me use the dark room at school anymore (lame Razz)

I have a few years experience with digital slr's and decided that i love the manual focus lenses on my minolta. Since they arent very expensive i figured id go pentax - lots availible for those.

So, i found a pentax KX used for $400 with card, case, etc.

So my search for prime manual focus lenses begins, and i figured the forums would be a good place to start. i have my eyes on a few takumars and smc pentax. seems to be plenty around only thing im having issues with is a decent prime macro lens.

I dont have tons of $ to put into this hobby, i play bass, build custom gaming PC's, BMX, SKI, Hike/camp, take my car to track days ($ for maintenance is the worst) etc etc. lots of hobbies!

if anyone has a good k mount to m42 adapter let me know (just so i know what to buy, i see a lot of cheap ones around)

and if anyone else has experience with this camera.

thanks!
~Paul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll love the Kx (from a fellow Kx owner). Smile

Pentax lenses are great, and M lenses in particular are resonably cheap in the most common focal lengths, and don't require an adapter. If I were you I'd start with an M 50/1.7 which will give you fantastic value for your money, and keep my eyes open for a reasonably priced M 28/3.5 and any other bargains you can find.

As for M42, get an original Pentax adapter, it's well worth it. Chinese made adapters often don't lock properly in the mount, and get stuck. Then save some of your money and get some CZJ lenses (I'm really partial to them): the Flektogon 35/2.4, Pancolar 50/1.8 (zebra is cheaper and has incredible sharpness and great colours), Sonnar 135/3.5, etc. I'm not really fond of Takumars with the exception of the 55/1.8 (or 55/2.0) which is cheap and good enough, but I'm in the minority. Smile

And don't forget pre-AI Nikkors: most of them mount ok on Pentax cameras (they dont lock but they mount solidly enough), and some are real bargains, like the 50/1.4.

You might also want to invest in a focusing screen which will make your life much easier. Focusingscreen.com sells reasonably priced and excellent quality ones.

Oh, and welcome! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had my eye on a few m50/1.7's actually Very Happy and the 28's

is this the adapter?

http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+30120

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that one. The only problems with it are that sometimes it turns a little bit in the mount when focusing, which does not impair optical qualities but gives a so-so feel; and that with auto-only lenses like Fujinons it does not stop down aperture. But it's great in all other respects.

The absolute best adapter is made by Kindai, a Japanese company: it has better tolerances than the original Pentax one, and also has an inner flange to keep auto lenses stopped down at all times. But it costs about 3x the original Pentax one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Going back to digital! :] Reply with quote

congrats on you camera!

as mentioned by Ludoo a split focus screen and also a viewfinder magnifier ( Pentax O-ME53 ) will help in focusing

Zogg wrote:
...only thing im having issues with is a decent prime macro lens.
~Paul

the Makro Takumar f4/50mm is very good! ( but very likely will cost over 100 usd )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this Forum!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!

got an email from the guy i bought the KX from today saying he didnt have time to ship it monday so he sent it expedited today. nice! :]

i also got a k to m42 adapter (the pentax brand one) and a sweet jupiter 11 lens from the marketplace here!

so many new toys soon Razz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice of camera Zogg Smile
look out for the marvelous old Tamron 90/2.5 SP
if you fancy a little macro.
Pete