Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Gifted Zork shift Apo Rodagon N 105 f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Gifted Zork shift Apo Rodagon N 105 f4 Reply with quote

At a party yesterday a friend gifted me this treasure. He was offloading all his non native Sony E equipment. This is a custom operation set up for Canon EF. He has just sold his last Canon body and had purchased the Alpha 1. His opinion of the Alpha 1 is "A truly remarkable camera" . That, when his current backup is th A7RIV, is saying something. He had a dozen first rate photos of hummingbirds in flight at flowers and said "These are from the first hour of using the camera" The bird eye AF really really works. Back to the subject at hand, I can't wait to try my free toy! (Sunshine? Where ARE you, it's June dammit!)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

A tilt enlarger will allow tons of creativity! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching the Apo enlarger lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock and have a few but nothing at this FL. I have looked at Zork adapters and decided I couldn't justify the expense for my already way to expensive hobby. So this gift, completely out of the blue, was like Christmas, my birthday and Thanksgiving all rolled into one!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! That‘s a great gift. That lens is considered one of the best ELs there is at this focal length, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely gift. I managed to get a Zoerk adapter by chance. It was from a dealer who was selling a "Hasselblad to M39 adapter" for about 50GBP. When it turned up it was a Zoerk ball setup and variable extension tube.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great catch! I wrote a few articles about the Zörk adaptors, and enjoyed using them. The 105/4 N is great, too - probably the best enlarger lens of that focal length to use at non-macro distances. If you ever want to sell it, let me know - the adaptor, I mean, I already have a 105/4.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of shots:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the low-contrast/hi-res look of the longer Apo-Rodagons, and the 105/4 has the most attractive bokeh, too - wide open, at least. If you like the look, there is a much cheaper alternative: the Vega 5U 105/4. It's very soft wide open - which can be useful - but excellent at f8. It has a similar drawing style. I'll post something for comparison tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more with a little better light. Wide open and shifted to get the layer where the flowers meet to be in focus. It was early morning but the sun wasn't shining on these flowers, they were still in the shade.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the tilt. Is the shift around the other side? There is a tendency for sellers of tilt lenses to describe them as tilt/shift, which most are not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. It is a tilt. Not a shift. DOH! Brainfart.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I have been watching the Apo enlarger lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock and have a few but nothing at this FL. I have looked at Zork adapters and decided I couldn't justify the expense for my already way to expensive hobby. So this gift, completely out of the blue, was like Christmas, my birthday and Thanksgiving all rolled into one!

What an incredible surprise! Getting Apo enlarger lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock as an unexpected gift must have felt like a mix of Christmas, your birthday, and Thanksgiving all at once. Exploring these lenses without the added expense of adapters is a fantastic way to enhance your photography hobby. Enjoy the new creative opportunities they bring to your enlarging photography journey! 📸🎁