Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GH1 ND filter, which one?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: GH1 ND filter, which one? Reply with quote

Hello, I see there are ND filters that you can rotate depending on how bright it is outside to shoot with full open aperture. Which one is better from these two? I will mostly shoot video but photos once in a while:

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Multi-Coated-Variable-Neutral-Density/dp/B004UFU7W2

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-Adjustable-Filter-Neutral-Density/dp/B004H4QVGW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know filters of those brands.

I just know that B&W, Helioplan and Hoya (and also Kenko) filters are really good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested some, but the color representation of the resulting image changes, so not recommended (a lot of money wasted actually). Fixed ND filters are much better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see.. so really the colors change and image/video looks that different?
So which ND filter should I start of with .2, .4, .6. .8? actually I can buy 2 of them so what's good to have that I'll use the most outside when It's very bright?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just founbd the info (as I was searching for updates on variable ND filters), that well reputed filter maker heliopan in Germany will or has release(d) a high quality variable ND filter!! Won't be cheap for sure...

Left: pos. ND0.3 (-1 stop) - Right: pos. ND2.0 (-6.6 stops)

(c) heliopan

((quote, Bob Salomon, sales agent for heliopan in the US))
Heliopan is now shipping their new Vario ND filter which is adjustable from 1 to 6.6 stops of ND by simply turning the calibrated rim on the filter. The Heliopan Vario ND filter is totally neutral in color, it is mounted in a black anodized brass ring that is cali- brated for ease in repeating a desired density.
The new Vario ND filter is available in screw-in sizes from 52 to 77mm. The new Heliopan Vario ND filter is available from camera stores in the USA.
Specifications:
• High quality solid brass rings. • Black anodized rings with stops at both ends of the ND range. • ND variable from 1 to 6.6 stops. • Color neutral regardless of ND value. • Calibrated, repeatable settings.
((unquote))

Here for instance a link to amazon selling it for a mere $282.99:
http://www.amazon.com/Heliopan-52mm-Variable-Gray-Filter/dp/B004OTXYME

P.S.: It seems not to have a front filter thread!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks you are right. I also read that these cheap filters are just not recommended at all so I'm going to go with fixed ND filters. I do have some more questions:

1. I see that I can get a larger ND filter to accomodate several lenses with the addition of step up rings. Do step up rings degrade the quality of the ND filters in any way?
2. I have a 49mm SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4 and a 55mm Konica HExanon 40mm 1.8. What ND filter should I get so I can use it on both?