Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Get closer"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: "Get closer" Reply with quote

Well, not sure if you're ever heard that, but it is an essential part of my photographic work.

An example, shot today as it was the last sunny day for a while....

Some may find that pleasing...

that brings out more what it is about...

and that one would be, what I'd choose to show...

in Latin, it's the "pars pro toto" principle, the part that stands for or represents it all, the essence (as I see it) of that sunlit Ilex bush in all its flaming beauty.

I hope I could make myself clear, but the images should speak for themselves Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Get closer" Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well, not sure if you're ever heard that, ....

It's attributed to Robert Capa ... or maybe it was Ken Rockwell.

Quote:
...in Latin, it's the "pars pro toto" principle, the part that stands for or represents it all, the essence (as I see it) of that sunlit Ilex bush in all its flaming beauty.

I hope I could make myself clear, but the images should speak for themselves Wink

It's a nice idea but I'm not sure that it's always useful. There's a saying in English about not being able to see the wood (forest) from the trees. In other words, focussing on the detail can mean that, sometimes, you miss the bigger picture. The uppermost sunlit leaf (made up of seven leaflets) in the first picture is clearly pinnate, an arrangement which is obscured when you "get closer" in the third picture. This detail, together with others, suggests that the plant might be a Mahonia rather than a Holly (Ilex).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the backlit leaves in the last one! Marvelous!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one for me is beautiful.

As to what Klaus is suggesting,I think it is the detail that you miss by not getting closer...it becomes its own "little world". I don't necessarily need to see the whole picture just the lines,the light, the colors in the close up. Having said that, I do know what subject you choose for a close up can make the difference between interesting and boring,but I guess that comes with practice.

For those new to photography its nice to be reminded/prompted of different techniques or simple things you can do when taking a photo.Not everyone has this "knowledge" at first.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, thanks for sharing your thoughts about the way to see this. It comes sometimes to my mind, what is the difference between your pictures of flowers and other ones and this is obviously the perception. I am quite shure that you put some imagination, how it looks in other frequencies into your visible photos ( which most of us can´t do )....let´s name it the kds-glow Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, also for the compliment!