Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Generic Auto Edixa 135 1:3.5 - SAMPLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Generic Auto Edixa 135 1:3.5 - SAMPLES Reply with quote

Hey all!

Apologies for the terrible smartphone pics, but I spotted this at the lcoal charity store for very little money. It's M42 fitting, but I can't really figure out who made this lens and if it is worth getting:

Apologies for not offering more useful photos, but I was being pulled away Smile

Any idea what this is?

EDIT: I have bought this lens and can provide some samples below. I think its good!

Last edited by rudolfkremers on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's an Edixa lens, so made for the Edixa SLR cameras. These used an M42 mount but were very finicky about which lenses they would work with in terms of automatic diaphragm operation. The lens appears Japanese so was probably made in the early 70s when most of the German companies which had been suppliers for Edixa withdrew from the market.

The Edixa name continued to be used on some cheap lenses and Japanese made SLRs after the German company went bankrupt for the last time around 1971/2.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not exactly the same as my Tokina Tele-Auto 135 3.5, but I can see similarities, and the Tokina was found with many different names.

If it is the Tokina, it's a lovely lens. If it's cheap, and you can fight against being pulled away, then it might be worth a punt ? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like different makeup version: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=39967

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really cheap, so I am tempted t just try it, but there is literally no brand name on there other than Edixa.
I was just curious what it is, as I have seen various Edixa 135s from different makers that seem to offer good results. I guess I need to just punt, but I still would love to know who made it Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I like different makeup version: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=39967

I thought about the Soligor as well, but mine is 135 / 2.8 and not 3.6. I think there's a lot of variations of this old Tokina.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

I thought about the Soligor as well, but mine is 135 / 2.8 and not 3.6. I think there's a lot of variations of this old Tokina.

Not Soligor Lloydy but Hanimex (right photo) = EDIXA = Tokina Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Tokina / Hanimex - possibly the Edixa, is the one I one I was thinking of, with the distinctive 45 degree chamfer on the front. The Soligor was a 'maybe' as mine is a Tokina, there might be some shared heritage in there somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gratuitous picture of the Tokina, because it's a nice looking lens. Wink And a very good one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as the Soligor and Vivitar T4's

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I think I will get this lens as it's so cheap anyway.
I will report with photos once I have them. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a lot like a lens I have in the same FL branded Vemar.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a quick hour playing with it while running after a young child, but I was positively surprised at the outcome.
The lens is well built, and operates very nicely. Oddly enough it focuses the other way around to what I am used to, but hey, I like a bit of quirkiness.

Photos were shot at around 4 in the afternoon on a cold day, all on a Canon 60d, handheld.
Some examples, all straight out of the camera:

Here I wanted to test fringeing. This leaf lit up like a bright bulb on my lcd screen, so I did not expect much.

Crop:

In the woods, to test low contrast lighting conditions:

Detail:

Sharpness test.

Crop (not bad!):

Colour saturation and rendition. (Very impressed)

Crop:

Fringeing and contrast test. This was shot almost straight into the sun.

Crop: (I expected much worse)

Contrast and definition test

Close up detail in low contrast light...

Crop: (I am ok with this Smile )

And finally I tried applying what I learned to a more artistic photo:
(Again, no PP whatsoever!)

Crop:

Conclusion:
I think this is a very capable and likable lens. Bokeh seems good too, but I need to test it more.
I really like the colour rendition, and contrast is decent. Seems pretty sharp.

I paid about £10 for it so I am happy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good tenners worth. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's a very good tenners worth. Cool

Very Happy

The lens is still an enigma. I have no idea who made it...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be unhappy with these results either!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictured lens is very interesting. It's a Tokina labeled version of the Lentar branded Automount lenses. Not T4 but very similar.

Lloydy wrote:
Gratuitous picture of the Tokina, because it's a nice looking lens. Wink And a very good one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina, most likely. Construction and layout are distinctive.
And of course, "there are no bad 135's".
F/3.5 135's even more so.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my 135s seem good, but there are definitely big differences in character and bokeh. So it's fun to try em out!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty nice lens, agreed that it's worth the tenner Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexWicks wrote:
Pretty nice lens, agreed that it's worth the tenner Very Happy

Lens a tenner, Leica-R TX/T4 mount a ton Smile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bog standard m42 Very Happy