Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujinon EBC 55/1.8 Correct Lens Caps?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject: Fujinon EBC 55/1.8 Correct Lens Caps? Reply with quote

Hello all.

I recently bought a Fujinon EBC 55/1.8 (M42 mount) that came with generic front and rear caps. I’m looking to buy “correct, factory-spec” caps for it and wonder what they look like. Would anyone in the know please enlighten me, maybe with some pictures of the correct caps?

Also, I wonder what the production years for this particular model are.

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came with a plastic push on cap. Likely most of them got lost or replaced

Rear cap was probably pretty generic looking. I suspect it was this one

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fujinon EBC 55/1.8 Correct Lens Caps? Reply with quote

Sakyaputta wrote:
Hello all.
some pictures of the correct caps?

You may always check the listings on ebay, e.g.: Click here to see on Ebay.de Just scroll down to see the caps and the original case.

The rear cap in the previous message is not original from Fuji.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
It came with a plastic push on cap. Likely most of them got lost or replaced... Rear cap was probably pretty generic looking. I suspect it was this one

Thank you very much for chiming in, Dino. Friends

Last edited by Sakyaputta on Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fujinon EBC 55/1.8 Correct Lens Caps? Reply with quote

Max78 wrote:

You may always check the listings on ebay, e.g.: Click here to see on Ebay.de Just scroll down to see the caps and the original case.

The rear cap in the previous message is not original from Fuji.

Thank you very much for providing the link, Max. I believe the caps and case are the answer. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Fujica caps :-
The upper is a 42mm-screw rear cap, the lower left a clip-on 49mm,the lower right a push-on 49mm.
The silvering on the push-on cap was initially a lot brighter, it's mostly worn off now.
Other variants may exist.

The 55mm f/1.8 was a fairly generic "standard" lens, so some time between 1971 and 1980. The early lenses, fitted to the ST701, didn't have the aperture coupling lug on the back of the aperture ring as the camera only had stop-down metering. Open-aperture metering was introduced with the ST801 in 1972.
The coupling lug can cause some interference problems on non-Fujica M42 cameras ... I've filed it off on all my lenses!
Enjoy Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Original Fujica caps :-... The 55mm f/1.8 was a fairly generic "standard" lens... Enjoy Smile

Thank you very much for your thoughtful answer with a picture of the caps, Kypfer. Much appreciated. Like Dog

Is it safe to assume that the push-on front cap is for the early 55/1.8 lenses without the aperture coupling lug while the clip-on one is for the the later ones with the lug?

Regarding the lug: this was bought from my lens collecting/repair friend to be used with an M42-FX adapter on my Fujifilm mirrorless camera. I told him to file off the lug before sending it to me. This is a superb lens with great sharpness even out of the central area. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakyaputta wrote:
kypfer wrote:
Original Fujica caps :-... The 55mm f/1.8 was a fairly generic "standard" lens... Enjoy Smile

Thank you very much for your thoughtful answer with a picture of the caps, Kypfer. Much appreciated. Like Dog

Is it safe to assume that the push-on front cap is for the early 55/1.8 lenses without the aperture coupling lug while the clip-on one is for the the later ones with the lug?

Not safe at all Wink
The clip-on cap came with my 35mm f/1.9, which was bought as "clearance stock" about 40 years ago ... as were my 16mm fisheye, the 19mm f/3.5 and the 85mm "Soft Focus" ... all for well less than £100 total, if I remember correctly Wink
During the latter part of the 20th century screw-mount prime lenses were almost given away, especially for an "obsolete" mount ... "everyone" wanted bayonet-mount zooms, then along came auto-focus etc. etc!
Whether they were "new old stock" or not I don't remember ... they were certainly in very fine condition, but sorry, I couldn't guarantee which cap went with which lens ex-factory.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:

Not safe at all Wink...

Hahaha, got it. Thank you for the advice! Friends

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just chiming in to say how much I love that lens. I have the EBC one and a 55/3.5 EBC Macro. Both are keepers. Sold my 50/1.4 EBC, but kept the 55/1.8 EBC.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noritar wrote:
Just chiming in to say how much I love that lens. I have the EBC one and a 55/3.5 EBC Macro. Both are keepers. Sold my 50/1.4 EBC, but kept the 55/1.8 EBC.

Absolutely agreed, Noritar. The EBC 55/1.8 is a fantastic lens whose optical prowess rivals any modern one in the same focal range.

Did you find the EBC 50/1.4 inferior in optical performance than the 55/1.8 or that it just didn't chime with you in handling and feel?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakyaputta wrote:
Noritar wrote:

Did you find the EBC 50/1.4 inferior in optical performance than the 55/1.8 or that it just didn't chime with you in handling and feel?

I thought the 50/1.4 was a nice lens. But it didn't seem like anything terribly special compared the the many other normal lenses I had at the time. I recall selling it for what I paid for a Leica R 60/2.8 Macro around the same time, and I would take the 60 R every time.

I'm a little foggier on this point, but I also seem to recall the Fuji 50/1.4's having yellowing optics.

I do recall the 50/1.4 feeling like it was built a little better. But my 55/1.8 has been used a lot more and I also had the helicoid relubed with a lighter than normal lubricant, so it could also be that the 50/1.4 just felt tighter. Both great lenses. But I like the 1.8 better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noritar wrote:

I'm a little foggier on this point, but I also seem to recall the Fuji 50/1.4's having yellowing optics.

Thank you for sharing your feelings and experiences, Noritar.

Yes the early non-EBC and EBC Fujinon 50/1.4 contain thorium in some of the elements and thus yellow over time, according to camaer-wiki http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Radioactive_lenses#Non-Kodak_lenses_reported_as_radioactive). I would do the same as you, not because of its radioactivity but because of the yellow tint in the resulting images. I'd rather adjust the colour temperature of the images in post-processing if they need to be warmed up.