Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji S3 AF question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Fuji S3 AF question Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

If you own an S3 I would like to know if it is normal for the camera to automatically try to AF as soon as you switch on the camera before pressing the shutter release.

Mine does whether in "S" or "C" mode which I think is strange. Also it stays lock/stuck in focus. I wonder if it has to do with my Sigma 15-30mm lens compatibility issue? Other than this, everything seems ok Confused

Thx.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello StingOM,

first I don't have a S3Pro but I used to have a S2Pro and several Nikon SLRs (including the F80 which ist the basic of the S2/S3).

It is definitely not normal that the camera will focus without pressing either the shutter or the AE/AF lock button. As far as I remember you have to change custom settings for the AE/AF lock button when you want to fokus with it.

Did you try another lens?

Did you reset the custom settings?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi IANUS,

Thanks for your comments. I tried 3 different AF lens:
Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 D
Sigma 28mm f1.8 D
Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (non-D ver)

All behaved the same way in either AF-S or AF-C modes. After you attached the lens and switch on the camera, the camera starts to AF automatically. Then the AF locks for about 5s. Then it is ok to focus again. But if you don't do anything, it will start to AF by itself again.

In general, I found an easy work around. If you just use the thumb pad to select a different focus point, the AF lock cancels out and you can proceed to AF by your desired point of focus. It must admit it is a little annoying.

This forum here seems to blame Sigma instead of the Fuji body itself:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=12614015

Any idea?

BTW I already have the latest firmware v2.18.

Confused

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have read through the discussion. The problems there are with Sigma HSM lenses (like Nikon AF-S as you might know). Your lenses are all older one without internal silent wave focusing motor. When the 50mm Nikkor behaves the same way then it is a camera problem for sure.

I had 5 Sigma lenses alltogether (Macro 90mm, Macro 180mm, 2.8/28-70 and a 70-300 tele) but all without HSM and never had a problem with them.

I reckon it is an electronic problem of the main body which has nothing to do with the software (firmware). Did you try different settings of the custom functions? I am not familiar with the S3 but since it is based on the Nikon F80 there should at least two settings regarding the AF-functions.

On the F80 there was a setting regarding AF lock while half deoressing the shutter. You could swith on/off.

With another setting you could disable focusing for the shutter button. Focusing is then done only with the AE/AF-Lock button.

There might be more settings for the S3 since it is newer.

To verify if there is a problem with those switches I would reset the cameras custom functions to its presets and than play with the different options.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 D
Sigma 28mm f1.8 D

Btw. what are youre experiences with the 28mm Sigma lens. How usable is it wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS wrote:
Quote:

I have read through the discussion. The problems there are with Sigma HSM lenses (like Nikon AF-S as you might know). Your lenses are all older one without internal silent wave focusing motor. When the 50mm Nikkor behaves the same way then it is a camera problem for sure.

I had 5 Sigma lenses alltogether (Macro 90mm, Macro 180mm, 2.8/28-70 and a 70-300 tele) but all without HSM and never had a problem with them.

I reckon it is an electronic problem of the main body which has nothing to do with the software (firmware). Did you try different settings of the custom functions? I am not familiar with the S3 but since it is based on the Nikon F80 there should at least two settings regarding the AF-functions.

On the F80 there was a setting regarding AF lock while half deoressing the shutter. You could swith on/off.

With another setting you could disable focusing for the shutter button. Focusing is then done only with the AE/AF-Lock button.

There might be more settings for the S3 since it is newer.

To verify if there is a problem with those switches I would reset the cameras custom functions to its presets and than play with the different options.

Thanks Ianus. I would have to study the camera manual carefully and see if I can make some changes.

I have 6 month warranty with the camera anyway, so I could see how bad it gets later...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANUS wrote:
Quote:
Sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 D
Sigma 28mm f1.8 D

Btw. what are youre experiences with the 28mm Sigma lens. How usable is it wide open.

I will come back to you on this one. From my limited experience (usually shoot at f2.Cool it is a little soft wide open, but usable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROBLEM SOLVED: Shocked Shocked
http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/forum/3/346547#comment-886869

I feel like a complete idiot!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the easy solutions are the best. Wink