Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fotodiox MD EOS Glass Adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Fotodiox MD EOS Glass Adapter Reply with quote

I just ordered it. I will review it after I recieve it.Their is no way I'm going to have the money for a Sony Nex or Panny G1 in the near future. Crying or Very sad
So this will atleast let me use my Minolta lenses. Very Happy Very Happy
Not a pefect solution but better then nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received it yesterday but I didn't get home in time to shoot with it. Quality of construction is excellent, fit is pefect, and it even has the notches on the part you grip like the MD lenses have on their appeture ring.
Today was a littlle better but still got home late. Sad

Minolta MD 28 2.8 at f5.6 on Canon Eos 10D with glass adapter. More testing will hopefully be done tomorrow. Smile
Only PP was light level adjustments, no sharpening. If I was only 1/2 an hour earlier. Sad
Please C/C. I need your opinions on what you think. Be honest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the high contrast, and some glare off the front of the building, it doesn't look bad. Perhaps a bit soft ? but is that due to shake or other factors ?
I don't think it's bad, and I would certainly persevere with it. I'm actually very interested in getting the same adapter to use some MD lenses on a Canon EOS 600 film camera. Perhaps that's the best test, borrow a Canon film camera and do battle with your Minolta film camera ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to have time tomorrow for more test. Shot was handheld so camera shake is a possibility. I hadn't thought about a Canon EOS film camera. Thanks. Very Happy I will keep an eyae out for one.

Crop of the last shot not resized, no sharpening.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the crop tells the story. It's absolute Crap. I will do a sharpness test tomorrow at lower ISO,tripod and better lighting conditions.
This was shot at f5.6 at ISO 400 which is the highest usable, barely, ISO on the 10D.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't wait until tomorrow. I still need to get out a tripod so this shot is handheld. Minolta MD 70-210 f4 at f11 10D with glass adapter. Minor PP with standard sharpening. Shot is cropped. Not to bad for handheld.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shots look soft. Personally, I wouldn't be happy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any glass adapter what I seen was crap in longer distance shoot than one meter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from Big-Is - the results look just like yours Walter. It is pretty crappy but it's the only way of using Minolta lenses on a Canon. Stopping down helps a lot, at wide open it glows like sunlight on a foggy day. I also sometimes see a bright flare circle in the centre at certain angles, but not pointing directly towards the sun.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be interesting to see this, and other, glassed adapters, tested back to back on film cameras where possible.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I got mine from Big-Is - the results look just like yours Walter. It is pretty crappy but it's the only way of using Minolta lenses on a Canon. Stopping down helps a lot, at wide open it glows like sunlight on a foggy day. I also sometimes see a bright flare circle in the centre at certain angles, but not pointing directly towards the sun.

Thanks, I agree it's crappy. Smile It's still nice to use my lenses on digital, tho. Very Happy Very Happy
I will practice with it and try to learn to use it to it's best effect.
I didn't have the time I thought I would today, but I did get out my MD 50 f2 and tried a rose shot. Cropped and PP done.
Sad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Somehow my in camera settings were at 0. I'm not sure when it got changed. So I made a custom setting for this adapter, which to me is a little better. Probably the best I will get with an adapter.
New setting is Contrast +2, Sharpness +2, Satuation 0.

Anyway it dosen't change my opinion.
Please tell me what you think.

Orange Dahlia Minolta 50 f2 at f8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for a real test. Handheld, but I think it's pretty accurate.Test is at f8. Lens used is a Minolta MD 2/50.
First adapter is the JIAKGONG macro adapter, no glass.
Second adapter is the FOTODIOX adapter with glass. I used my smallest tube with it.
No Sharpening. Please tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orange Dahlia looks really soft, or rather blurred. I guess at f/8 you had some camera shake there.

The bank note shows some deterioration but it's not too bad, really.

In my experience glass adapters (I have used CanonFD-EOS and NikonF-M42 with a corrective lens) do worsen IQ but the pictures are still usable and if that is the only way to used your beloved lenses on digital, don't worry to much about pixel peeping, better try to avoid flaring situations and enjoy your lenses!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pixel peep the detail in close ups, but a glassless adapter could be used for those. More important for me is how well the adapter works for distance shots which are impossible without the glass. However, the detail looks fine for 9x6 prints, which is the biggest I ever make.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think I can produce a usable image with this adapter past a couple feet. I understand the lower IQ but this is beyond that. Sad

I wanted to take camera shake out of the equation, so I used a heavy duty tripod. The weather wasn't great today, but I worked with what I had.
I didn't plan this as a shootout so the shot with the macro adapter is handheld, so there could be a little camera shake.
Lens used is the Minolta 70-210 f4 at f8

Macro adapter shot no PP at all look at the detail, shot at 3 meters

Adapter with glass shot is at 30 meters this is a crop, shot is bracketed so I didn't miss focus, No detail, looks soft and fuzzy.
Either this adapter is defective or these adapters are a lot worse then I thought. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do look pretty awful Walter. Sad

I took a pic of my Minolta 35-70 zoom for another thread and tried a little comparison experiment with my Big_Is MD>EOS adapter while I was about it. These pics are taken with the CZJ Flek 35 at f8 - on the left with the M42>MD adapter mounted onto the MD>EOS adapter and on the right with the lens mounted direct onto the 400D with the M42>EOS adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case any one need a thin glass-less adapter, please refer to this old thread http://forum.mflenses.com/thin-md-eos-adaptor-gum-rubber-film-adaptor-t38347.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is makes you feel ill. I put my adapter to the infinity test yesterday with the MC 1.4/58 up front.

#1 @f1.4

#2 @f8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
In case any one need a thin glass-less adapter, please refer to this old thread http://forum.mflenses.com/thin-md-eos-adaptor-gum-rubber-film-adaptor-t38347.html

I don't think that adapter will work on a 10D because of the shape of the mirror box.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Sorry if this is makes you feel ill. I put my adapter to the infinity test yesterday with the MC 1.4/58 up front.

#1 @f1.4

#2 @f8

Shocked Shocked I don't know what else to say.Lucky I took a seasick pill before viewing the images. Very Happy Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I don't think that adapter will work on a 10D because of the shape of the mirror box.

Just checked. The mirror box of 10D is the same as D30 and D60 so this adaptor will not work. Idea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Shocked Shocked I don't know what else to say.Lucky I took a seasick pill before viewing the images. Very Happy Laughing

Laughing

It was very cheap - more expensive ones are no doubt 100% better. I'm going to take the glass out and use it for close-ups only until I can afford a new digicam.