Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Foma: Kern River Field, 1984
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Foma: Kern River Field, 1984 Reply with quote

Some photos taken with Foma back when I worked for Getty Oil Company at its Kern River Field facility just outside Bakersfield, California. These would date to 1984. Developed with D-76. Shot with a Canon FTb. I don't remember which lenses I used in the following photos, but back then my inventory wasn't very large -- a Canon FL 35/2.5, FD 50mm f/1.8, a couple of Albinars -- 28/2.8 and 80-200/3.9 -- and a Sigma 600mm mirror. I was really fond of the FL 35 back then, so some of the shots were probably taken with it.

I don't know if it's the same stuff as back then, but as you can see, the grain was pretty coarse. Contrast was good, though, and I liked the effect of having coarse grain with good contrast.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look good gives it a aged look...... #3 very apocalyptic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent excavation of old film. I especially like 2 through 4, there's some mighty fine industrial detail.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series. Grainy B&W really suits this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, folks. I guess what I especially like about this film was that, even though it was rather grainy, it was good at capturing fine detail. I think #3 is a good example of this.

Those of you who shoot the modern Foma, is this sort of graininess still characteristic of it?

I don't remember anymore which ISO (well, it would have been ASA back then) it was. The film edges don't say. It's grainy like 1984-vintage ISO 400, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was ISO 100.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cooltouch .. very documentary set..

We used the FOMA in tons - film or paper -

Back to 1984 - I was 15 and I can confirm that the FOMA film ISO 100 (21 DIN) always has had superb DETAILS with fine grain and also we used this material at school where I used to go at - school for printing industry Smile

I hated all these things around film material, gradation curves, temperature of developers, bla bla etc ... -- it was something boring for me in age of 15 Smile

FOMA ISO 400 has more visible grain but still nice details..

tf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent documentary set. Technically unexceptionable, stunning tonal rendition. I like the grain , exactly the effect I would look for if I had to photograph a similar subject.

Cheers, Marty.