Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Focusing with macro lenses ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Sorry, but I can't help but find it a bit ironic that your "hand held setup" is mounted to what looks like a pretty stout tripod. Cool

What is that lens combo, by the way? A long Nikkor macro with a stack of extension tubes or something?

Its only mounted on a tripod in the pic to hold it in an easy position to shoot the whole assembly.
In practice, I virtually never use the PN-1 or the extension rings and I prefer to use either 1x or 2x 52mm Canon 500D close up lenses screwed on the front instead as you gain magnification without losing many f-stops that way and optically they match up quite well with the Nikkor so image quality is still great with very little noticable diffraction even stopped down to f32.

Quote:

Also, I can't tell from the photo how your Metz flash is mounted to this hand-held setup -- what sort of bracket are you using?

I'm using a Manfrotto undercamera bracket on the camera connected to a Manfrotto double balljoint coupler onto a generic PC sinc flashgun holder which holds the flashgun.

Quote:

Cool, it looks like your Sigma has a PC connector. Wish my Canon did. I'm guessing that's an older Metz, so you're not worried about trigger voltage, eh?

Its not that old...The 54mz-3 came out about 2000-2001 and was the current model up to at least 2005 when it was replaced with virtually identical 54mz-4. Its more powerfull than any comparable Sigma flashgun and built to last, pluxs it can be used on virtually any camera just by fitting the correct brand related SCAxxxx adapter. I usually power mine via a cable to an external 6V SLA battery so I can shoot with the flash on high power for hours if necessary. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

What is that lens combo, by the way? A long Nikkor macro with a stack of extension tubes or something?

Exactly. It's an AI Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4, circa 1982, with a shed load of extension tubes.

Actually its a Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 IF Ai-S to be exact

Aha - the small ADR aperture numbers looked to have the minimum aperture in white, not orange, in that photo. Which is why I mis-identified it as AI.

DSG wrote:
and in the pic its fitted to a Nikon PN-1, combined 52.5mm extension ring and rotating tripod collar, and between the PN-1 and the SD14 is a set of Chinese made Jin She Jie Quan Nikon extension rings and to mount this lot onto the camera a Roxsen Nikon-M42 adapter is used onto an M42-SA adapter.

I think that counts as a shed load Smile

I have the PN-1 as well (slightly dremelled to make it safe to mount on my D90) and the same brand of extension tubes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
you have to check for backfocus
if you focus on eyes and get a result like mine, you probably need to shim your screen

backfocus sample

hahahaha.