Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FLASH - use of SB-600/800 with MF Lenses:
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: FLASH - use of SB-600/800 with MF Lenses: Reply with quote

Happy New Year everyone! I am using a Nikon D80 with AF and MF lenses. As a fairly new convert to the Manual Focus lifestyle I would very much appreciate any tips, techniques or advice on using flash in general but particularly Nikon SB-800 Flash with MF lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a fairly long and multi-facetted reply so it is best you specify with which manual focus lenses you are going to use the camera. Other brand/bayonet lenses or Nikkor lenses (Ai-converted, Ai, Ai-S). Does your D80 meter with the lens?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your reply. This is really a general question assuming no metering at all (which really is the case) and a selection of MF lenses including Vivitar, Russian and Takumar. I am interested in how others use their flash with this type of equipment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need chipped lenses to provide TTL flash with the data it requires for accurate results. With non-CPU lenses (Nikon mount or other) you'll rely on using flash in manual mode. I've never liked TTL quirks so I use my remote speedlights in manual mode 95% of the time, even with D3 and newest AF-S lenses.

Using an SU-800 to trigger those SB-600/800/900 units works even better, as the commander unit gives you easier programming and changing of individual flash output (control direct from the commander unit vs. walking around adjusting each flash individually).

Just out of curiosity resulting from your post, I shot a product macro trial: I used a D70 and a SMC Takumar 55/1.8 on top of a stack of M42 extension rings, with M42 mechanical adapter to D70 mount. Triggered two SB-800's using the D70's built-in flash as commander. Worked fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice website, Vilhelm, and thanks for your effort!
Now when you conducted this experiment which mode did you select on the SB-800's and why this mode in preference to the others?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevewig wrote:
Very nice website, Vilhelm, and thanks for your effort!
Now when you conducted this experiment which mode did you select on the SB-800's and why this mode in preference to the others?

Thank you!

You need a master and slave(s), and master is used to control slave(s).

I set two SB-800's on REMOTE, because I use the D70 built in flash as flash commander/master. To set your SB-800 on REMOTE (ie. slave mode) press the SEL button for 2s, navigate to menu. Described here: http://www.momentcorp.com/review/sb-800slave.html

Alternatively, if you have two SB-800's: Attach flash 1 to camera hotshoe, set flash 1 to MASTER from same menu, set flash 2 to REMOTE and use flash 1 to trigger and set flash output on both flashes.

Why? Because I need

1. master to control & trigger (built-in flash or 1 SB-800/900 or 1 SU-800)
2. remote flashes = slaves to control & trigger (one or several SB-600/SB-800/SB-900 flashes in remote ie. slave mode)

SB-600 I think cannot be used as flash commander/master, only as slave. I am almost sure you can use your D80 built-in flash unit to work as commander/master flash from DSLR menu.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was interested in the mode that you used for your shots and the reason for that preference.
(Meaning did you decide to use AUTO instead of MANUAL, or maybe you used the GN mode?)
If you had been using your MF lenses for taking Portraits instead of Macro shots how would you have handled that?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera set to manual exposure mode, flashes set to remote, flash exposure to manual. I would use the same no matter I am shooting a portrait or macro series.

This is personal preference, solely based on how I like to work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setting seems to be the same as Steve's. I have a D80, 1x SB-600, 1x SB-800 and a bunch of manual lenses, so here's my view.

The D80 does not meter with any manual lenses, unless they are chipped. The only available mode in the body is (M)anual. Higher-end bodies such as the D200,D300(s),D700 et al can use manual lenses in (A)perture mode too, and you gain full matrix metering using these bodies and old lenses. The use of a lesser body such as we have (D80) does hinder manual photography, but not disable it. Exposure has to be guessed, but I use the histogram plus you get the hang of it quite soon if you just spend some time with the gear.

As flash controller I use the built-in flash of the D80 unless I want more power from the camera's direction, which is when I use the SB-800 on-camera flash plus trigger and the SB-600 as off-camera (remote) slave, and I use both in manual mode naturally. As Vilhelm said, manual mode is just so much more certain than trusting TTL - and it teaches you patience - and obedience! I also have a Nikon SC-28 TTL sync cord so I can use the flash off-camera, but since I cannot get metering with MF lenses, it is mostly useful for my AF range of lenses.

The way I use flash in tandem with my manual setup is, well, manual on all. I am looking, however, for an SU-800 to get rid of the hassle of changing parameters per flash. In macro work, the flashes will be pretty close anyways, but in portraiture you might either need an assistant or the SU-800 so you don't have to dial stuff in individually.