Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flash setup questions . . .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Flash setup questions . . . Reply with quote

With my Hassy gear came some flash gear -
2 Vivitar 285's (w/vari power sensor) along with 2 vari-sensor adapters and 3 SL2 slaves.
The 285's I think are studio models as they are marked use Vivitar SB-6 power supply only ( I have 1 for each flash plus much cabling Confused ) and the battery compartment is blocked off with "electronics".

I'm assuming the Chinon Flash meter is used when you test run a flash set up to get the right Fstop.

The problem is no instructions came with the gear Confused

So if someone can point me in the right direction or if a kind soul has this gear and they could send me a copy of the instructions for the slaves . . .

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar 285 are about the very best manual flash units, they are not studio units but are very capable of producing small studio lighting.
These units are very popular. They actually remanufactured them about a year ago and sold out within a few months.
Because if their popularity a search on Google will produce loads of info. An instruction book should not be needed. Just put 4 AA batteries in and away you go.
For lots of good flash info look at
http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
They also recommend the Vivitar 285 there
Flash is about the most versatile lighting source available and both the Vivitar 283 and 285 models are great units for doing just about anything with.
As you know nothing about using flash I would advice spending a few hours on Strobist and maybe a few books from the library on lighting. The subject is far too complex and IMO too important to do more than give very simple advice (Probably wrong) on a forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, but my big questions are simply using the accessories - the vari sensor on remote cable and the slaves . . .

I have done some searching but the info in those areas, I'm having issues.
Yes I will try to do some book research too.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sensor on the 285 (And 283) plugs into the front of the flash unit. It should be there for normal use.
To use your extension cable unplug the sensor. Plug in the cable and plug the sensor in the other end.
One of the purposes of this is to use your flash unit off camera. The end of the remote cable can plug into your hotshoe which gives you an extension sync cable and also puts the aperture control sensor on the camera, allowing you to use indirect flash, bounce flash or modified flash
The above is its simplest use as with all of these things a bit of experimenting to get to know your equipment is a good idea. The remote sensor can be used in any fashion you would normally want a sync extension or to fine tune exposure.
The slaves are simple devises which fire a second, third or more flash unit (One per flash unit) when another flash goes off, thus allowing you to sync a number of flash units without cables. .Some have a hotshoe fitting, others just a plug or even both.
Again very useful in fact essential little things for setting up multiple flash lighting.
Again a bit of playing about should be done to have an idea of their range and the way they plug in etc. If you have slave units with a hotshoe fitting your sensor extension cable can also be used to make connection easy. This often makes life easy.
Even though most often use ‘Radio slaves’ I still need the old ones and I still often connect my slave receiver to the sensor extension cable as it gives easy access to adjusting power output, very handy when you have clamped the flash out of reach or it is inside a softbox.
About the only other essential I can think of that may be missed is Sync cables. The 285 should come with a normal sync cable which plugs in to the side of the flash units foot (A little hole) If you haven't got one you can still order them from most good photo shops. It's well worth having proper sync cables to attach your slaves and use long flash extension cables for set ups. The first essential for good flash lighting is to get the unit off the camera at ALL times.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Leslie wrote:
. . .Again a bit of playing about should be done to have an idea of their range and the way they plug in etc. If you have slave units with a hotshoe fitting your sensor extension cable can also be used to make connection easy. This often makes life easy.
. . .About the only other essential I can think of that may be missed is Sync cables. The 285 should come with a normal sync cable which plugs in to the side of the flash units foot (A little hole) . . .

Thanks for this basic info as it was what I was looking for.

The kit I received has many sync cables, a number of them the long "coiled"/ recoil cables (look like whats on a telephone hand set Smile )
I'm planning on using my older basic flash with its sync cable on some of my older gear whose shoes aren't hot shoes.

Thanks again,
Jim