Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flash for EOS 350D?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Flash for EOS 350D? Reply with quote

I often see these Sunpak flashes and things on auctions. Now I found a Sunpak Auto 355 AF. It says it's made for analogoue Canons cameras and something about Thyristor controlled... would it not work on EOS 350D?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias,

According Canon, their cameras support a hotshoe maximum voltage of 6 volt. If the hotshoe is tyristhor controlled, may or maynot fulfill this requirement, so the best way to be sure is measuring it with a Voltmeter.
Once sure the voltage is okay, most flashes work with the Canons, but do not expect eTTL II or similar. They work in manual mode or in beam cutoff mode in the best cases. I use a Vivitar FD550 flash with my 350D. To avoid interferences, I put a small square piece of film in the hotshoe, with a small hole in the middle (to allow connect the middle contact).
This blocks the data/control signals on the other pins.
Then you have to set the shutter speed and aperture based on distance, according the table that almost all the flash units carry in the backside.

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can suggest u an alternative,
buy v3 remote wireless flash triggers,
u can use upto 4/16 flashes.. off the camera.
And be sure that any flash works no need to worry about damage to body.. Smile
And they are very cheap from china Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Cullmann 4500C. It's very good and pretty affordable.
And there is a new one (Nissen? or something) on the market...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakoo wrote:
i can suggest u an alternative,
buy v3 remote wireless flash triggers,
u can use upto 4/16 flashes.. off the camera.
And be sure that any flash works no need to worry about damage to body.. Smile
And they are very cheap from china Very Happy

I am not familiar with any receiver that will fire 4-16 units, or even more than one without other devices. Could you post a link?

This is the supplier I use for radio slaves, note 1 receiver will only fire one flash unit. Fire others with more receivers or optical slave units. Members may also be interested that they have brand new Vivitar 285HV flash units at a very good price. I believe they are the only supplier that has stock.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Gadget-Infinity_Digital-Camera_Flash_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2210592QQftidZ2QQtZkm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old 400D was safe up to 250volts. It may be worth double checking the load on a 350D. Unless Canon decided to upgrade it for some reason on later models.

My 40D is also fine up to 250v.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
My old 400D was safe up to 250volts. It may be worth double checking the load on a 350D. Unless Canon decided to upgrade it for some reason on later models.

Who told you, Martin?

Sometime a cam seems to be OK with high voltage, but suddenly you get some errors because it is not!
It's not always recognizable at once!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Who told you, Martin?

Sometime a cam seems to be OK with high voltage, but suddenly you get some errors because it is not!
It's not always recognizable at once!

Very true. Over the years I have seen many flash users have problems.
As a general guide NO hotshoe on a modern camera is safe for high voltage flash sync. It is rare to have the camera pack in as the flash is used but circuits are damaged/weakened.
I have seen Canon and Nikon DSLR pack in after a number of exposures when being used with studio flash units, sometimes the owner has been lucky and all returns to normal after the camera cools off but to late for that unseen damage which may cause a breakdown in the future.
Real camera flash sync plugs on most cameras are safe as they are built to be used with studio flash units.