Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fixing a malformed NX-M42 adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Fixing a malformed NX-M42 adapter Reply with quote

Even the trustable sellers, from time to time provide something not in good shape. This is the case of two NX-M42 adapters that our colleague jlsa05 ordered from Big_is. We have always bought from that trustable seller. This time the adapters were malformed:

Although it seems okay, when trying to put on the NX100, we find some problems. In the first place, when aligned into position, it doesn't fit at all:

That was enough to claim Big_Is, and we have to admit they reacted quickly and professionally: they reimbursed jlsa05.

After a few days, jlsao5 and myself met to have a coffea and to talk about photography. In the conversation, the problem with the bad adapter arouse. We took a second look at the adapter and found out that the adapter fit into the camera if we rotate it some 65 degrees from the initial position, letting the red mark and the label at the bottom side:

Then we tried to rotate it, to try to lock it. The adapter rotated and at the end didn't lock. It was clear, there was no retaining hole in that side. Anyway, it could be used but not securely, because without a lock, the adapter could go out when trying to focus a lens.

So we decided not to use it.

Today I was playing with the NX100 and was trying to shot a scene where my Jupiter-9 would have been my choice. But I had no trustable adapter. So I took the malformed one and looked where the retaining hole shoulld be, by aligning to the unlock button, and marked it with a white permanent marker:

Then, I transferred the mark to the inside of the adapter. The retaining pin lets a trace, so it was quite easy to spot where the hole should be:

Next, to drill the hole with a bit of 2.5mm:

Some strong brushing, and tried into the cam. Okay, this time the adapter got locked!.

Now the finishing: First to paint the old red dot in black, to avoid confussion:

Then to paint an aligning dot in the right place. I put a spot of blue nail polish (by now), not very cleanly set, just enough to show how the alignment is. I'll improve it by making a small hole and fill it with red paint.

And that's all!. Tomorrow (today the light has gone) will be trying it outside. This is how it looks on the NX100 now:

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, my adapter from that seller is on its way to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
Thanks for the tip, my adapter from that seller is on its way to me.

I hope they fixed them, if not, you know the way (an eBay claim to get your funds back and some "bricolage").

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, I am new to mflenses.com & to using manual focus lenses on digital bodies in general.

I had the same problem, with two adapters I ordered from big-is, one for M42, one for Pentax K.
I solved the issue slightly differently, and wrote a short post in case someone had the same problem.

big-is partially refunded me for the inconvenience and seems to no longer be selling those adapters.

EDIT: Don't know why the above link doesn't work, it does in preview. Here is the URL: http://camilomeier.tumblr.com/post/18626769874/m42-pentax-k-adapters-make-them-fit-to-nx-body

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmeier wrote:
Hello all, I am new to mflenses.com & to using manual focus lenses on digital bodies in general.

I had the same problem, with two adapters I ordered from big-is, one for M42, one for Pentax K.
I solved the issue slightly differently, and wrote a short post in case someone had the same problem.

big-is partially refunded me for the inconvenience and seems to no longer be selling those adapters.

EDIT: Don't know why the above link doesn't work, it does in preview. Here is the URL: http://camilomeier.tumblr.com/post/18626769874/m42-pentax-k-adapters-make-them-fit-to-nx-body

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Many thanks to sharing this great info here. Url, images are disabled to new members (spam prevention) from now you able to send both.
Enjoy your stay!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to this subject - I received my adapter from BIG_IS and it is the same as the one you are mentioning in your topic. Seems he is still selling and shipping old stock.

With the post above, I now have to decide which method to use to fix my problem.

In the meantime, I have place BIG-IS in my mental category of 'skip over his offerings'.