Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First Test with Leica Elmarit-R 90/2.8 (single cam version)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: First Test with Leica Elmarit-R 90/2.8 (single cam version) Reply with quote

After getting a bunch of ideas in another thread on a good 80-85mm portrait lens, I went to a camera show and tried out a few and fell in love with something that wasn't even mentioned (admittedly, it didn't really fit in my >$300 price range). So I searched and obsessed and finally purchased an UG Leica Elmarit-R 90/2.8 from Keh for a ridiculous price (I emailed them for info and someone actually responded, saying that the lens was just beat up externally, with no major scratches/fungus/coating issues - after receiving it, I can confirm)

Anyway, here's my first attempt at taking a couple quick shots of a coworker with it on my Canon T3i, shot wide open (or close to)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and soft bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for your new toy, good as than Kaleinar 100 Smile I had both at same time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats for your beat up Leica, great results indeed !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - I can't wait to shoot video with it

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice skin rendering.

A bit overexposed?

I have the elmarit M 90/2,8 first version of 1959 year. I can't find the way to obtain the lens give me her best.

The coated only benefit the blue and yellow things.

But yours seems to be very good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
Very nice skin rendering.

A bit overexposed?

definitely in the second shot - we went up to the roof because it was nice and overcast, but the sun snuck out from behind a cloud while I wasn't looking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is actually one of my best lens too Wink
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a find! That lens renders lovely images Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walked around a bit yesterday, trying it out handheld on flowers and the like in front of my apartment, and it seems great for that too, especially in terms of color and bokeh - all out of camera (with settings on "neutral"), no PP

I'll be shooting video with it on Sunday

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great clarity. Beat up or not, that's a honey of a lens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: First Test with Leica Elmarit-R 90/2.8 (single cam versi Reply with quote

strangelove wrote:
After getting a bunch of ideas in another thread on a good 80-85mm portrait lens, I went to a camera show and tried out a few and fell in love with something that wasn't even mentioned (admittedly, it didn't really fit in my >$300 price range). So I searched and obsessed and finally purchased an UG Leica Elmarit-R 90/2.8 from Keh for a ridiculous price (I emailed them for info and someone actually responded, saying that the lens was just beat up externally, with no major scratches/fungus/coating issues - after receiving it, I can confirm)

KEH responded with details about lens condition? I've asked about lenses before, but their reply was something like "the lenses are at a different site and we can't go and look at them, that's why we rely on our ratings."
So lucky you, and congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First Test with Leica Elmarit-R 90/2.8 (single cam versi Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

KEH responded with details about lens condition? I've asked about lenses before, but their reply was something like "the lenses are at a different site and we can't go and look at them, that's why we rely on our ratings."
So lucky you, and congrats!

I kind of expected the same, but I actually got a few responses from the guy, so I guess it's just luck.