Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First roll of xp2 super
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: First roll of xp2 super Reply with quote

This is my first roll of xp2 super. I'm a little disappointed. It seems really grainy. And the grain is chunky too. It might be the lab though. I've got another roll so I'll get that developed at a different lab.

Here are a couple of samples taken in the NS building in Shinjuku Tokyo.

Nikon FE, Ais 24/2.8, lab process, v700, epson scan software

I'll post some more a bit later. Thanks for looking Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your images looks basically fine to me. On my screen a couple appear very minorly overexposed, which could be from weak developer or over-used chemicals. Also, there's not as much contrast in areas as other films. For instance, on #3, more contrast on the wall would make it pop and that could be done with a yellow or red filter.

It also looks like you had overcast weather, is that so? If so, on days when I shoot in overcast skies, my results are always granier than on sunnier days.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. All the shots were a little over-exposed. I pulled the exposure down in photoshop but perhaps not enough.

It was actually good weather that day (blue sky, bright sun) although I was shooting through a window so I'm sure that affected the clarity. I'll post a few more from the roll later today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shots look ok on my monitor, well I'm assuming you are trying B/W film and normally use a digital camera and film can look a bit grainy compared to squeaky clean digital, also I find (which you might not agree with) that the scanner can introduce grain especially scanning under exposed shots or areas on the neg underexposed so if I have a neg where everything is not underexposed I don't have any problems.......................also not using fresh developer can also give grainy results.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I normally shoot digital but I have shot a few rolls of Tri-x and Neopan and I much preferred the results from these, especially Tri-x. I have another roll of the super xp2. I'm looking forward to having another go with it. Here are a couple more shots from the roll. These were over exposed too and required some exposure adjustment in photoshop.

2. Station by Yebisu1, on Flickr

I don't like the amount of grain the shadow areas in this shot but perhaps that's normal.

1. Shinkansen (Bullet Train) by Yebisu1, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, I don't see any grain