Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First roll of B&W through Spotmatic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: First roll of B&W through Spotmatic Reply with quote

Well they are not too impressive and I have a couple of strange aberrations on two of the shots. Anyway here they are. Just got them tonight.

On the next two I'm not sure what happened. My film experience is limited. Any information is appreciated.

#4 It was overcast so I'm pretty sure that isn't a flare.

#5 On this one there was no object in the bottom of the frame when this was shot.

#6 Here is just a cute one in low light. I know I missed the focus and she is moving too much for the shutter speed, still cute.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a light leak on #4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice start! I like many of them!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes looks like a leak on 4. On the next one, my Canon AE-1 started to leave a black part across the bottom of images when the shutter began to stick. But only on the very edge, not that far into the image. Still not sure what caused it though. It's a bit odd.

Possibly some sort of vignetting caused by the mirror not being fully up when the shutter released?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be. Its in the right place for it.

Take the baseplate off and lube the mirror release catch, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first Spotmatic that I purchased and it is a little rough around the edges. The newer one (to me anyway) is in very good shape. I have a roll of film in it currently so I am not sure about how it will perform.

As far as light leaks, if there was a leak shouldn't it be in all of the shots or at least more than one? I don't have any experience with light leaks, never encountered them before. My other film camera is a Pentax P30T that I purchased new and didn't use that much. The seals in that one are like new. It still takes good pictures, but due to the crappy zoom lenses that I purchased at the time I lost interest in the camera after running through a few dozen rolls.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bright spot like that with this camera on a roll of color film also. That one was in the upper left corner of the image though. Is there a chance I could be picking up a reflection off of my glasses through the viewfinder?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible I suppose.
My money would be in a film-handling problem outside the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 Looks like a light leak as has been mentioned.
#5 looks like a mirror glitch (mirror didn't rise all the way). Images on film are reversed and inverted from VF view. And, the Spotmatic has horizontally moving curtains so a lagging curtain would leave a band on left or right, not bottom or top.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@luis As far as the film handling if it makes a difference #4 was the second shot on the roll and #5 was the forth. One and Three turned out fine except for shake on one from shutter speed (my fault).

Here is another couple from roll. Christmas tree in B&W. OK, a very small tree.

And one boring shot of a book. I'm not sure why, but it just caught my eye.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually replace light seals as soon as I get a camera. The Spotmatic can be prone to sticking mirror but the ones I've encountered, they tend to jam solid not just slow. Anyway, the problem is obvious when you take the base plate off, there is a tab that needs `adjusting' and a bit of grease. It takes a couple of minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adent wrote:
I had a bright spot like that with this camera on a roll of color film also. That one was in the upper left corner of the image though. Is there a chance I could be picking up a reflection off of my glasses through the viewfinder?

Well I have this pesky problem with two cameras and the annoying thing is "it's intermittent"...on one I've put new seals everywhere even places that never had them before and changed the same film to another camera and then it's perfect. And I too can think of only one last explanation for a light leak (at certain times) is that on some cameras, light is bouncing off my glasses and when the mirror is lifting the light bounces inside the camera onto the film at the same time as the shutter is starting to work (so maybe it's possible for the mirror and shutter mechanism over the years to get slightly out of sync at times), erm well I suppose static electricity could be the very last explanation Wink ........so my advice is:- don't spend too much time and money on cheap cameras with a light leak.

The Petri's last chance before being turned into spare screws and it failed

Tak 35mm f3.5
Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
adent wrote:

Anything is possible I suppose.
My money would be in a film-handling problem outside the camera.

Mine too.

At the instant the film is exposed the mirror should be blocking all light passing through the viewfinder. But if the mirror is slow to rise as in the other shot... it could well be a flash of light as the mirror is moving, so who knows? Sluggish mirror release is about the most common repair needed on Spotmatics (alongside a sticky meter switch that won't drop back down). Just a tiny dab of Vaseline on the catch should cure it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light leak on one and mirror blocked the other one....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That light leak could also be an internal reflection, but considering the photo looks to have been taken in dull like, I doubt it. I've seen similar marks show up on photos taken with old TLRs and once I had an internal reflection appear in a shot from one of my Ciro 35s.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
That light leak could also be an internal reflection, but considering the photo looks to have been taken in dull like, I doubt it. I've seen similar marks show up on photos taken with old TLRs and once I had an internal reflection appear in a shot from one of my Ciro 35s.

Tonight on my Petri (just before I broke it up for screws) I did put a torch through the viewfinder with the back open and lens covered and a faint shaft of light was coming on the left side with the shutter firing from 1/125 sec and slower, at faster speeds I couldn't see it......I'm not saying this is the answer as I didn't want to waste any more time proving it, but maybe it was a combo of the reflection of light off my glasses (at certain times/angles) into the viewfinder when the shutter was firing at 1/125 sec and slower (but was ok at faster speeds) that gave the intermittent light leak on some shots.