Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First pics with my new Mamiya RB67 Pro SD
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: First pics with my new Mamiya RB67 Pro SD Reply with quote

My "thing" is digital conversion (at the moment anyway) so all these were taken with that in mind. Still lifes and landscape shot were Kodak Ektar 100 and the hunting portraits were Kodak Portra 400. Digital scans and conversions etc. Scans were done by the lab and they did their own adjustments (forgot to ask for untouched). I'll probably re do these once I acquire a scanner and can do it properly.

Oh, 127mm f/3.8 Sekor C and comments and criticism welcome.

I actually had intended on doing a lot more shooting on this last trip, had quite a lot lined up but just didn't have time. Only ended up shooting two these two rolls.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will love this camera. My cousin has the same exact camera. I have the RZ. So easy to focus,you would have to try to miss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that´s a great tool for taking pictures. but I´m wondering why don´t you use BW film - there is Ilford XP2 for C41 process so you don´t have to develop it yourself.

the last one has really nice retro atmosphere:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Mr. Hemingway!
Excellent composition!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
that´s a great tool for taking pictures. but I´m wondering why don´t you use BW film - there is Ilford XP2 for C41 process so you don´t have to develop it yourself.

the last one has really nice retro atmosphere:)

Thanks for the comments. Regarding using colour film, I did it because once the neg is scanned in you have a lot more options for the end result of a b&w conversion from a colour neg than a plain b&w negative. In Photoshop you can control the lightness/darkness of each colour's conversion to b&w in the "Image/Adjustments/Black and White" panel. It gives more creative control and you can bring out or hide details and have a different way of playing with contrast. For example by only making reds really dark relative to other colours. You can get effects and have finer control than you cant get even using filters with b&w film.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good job. Some real standouts. I especially like the last two.

My biggest problem when it comes to photographic gear is I can always think of a convincing reason why I need another piece of gear -- in this case, one more camera. You've just reminded me why I really need a good 6x7 medium format shooter. Or 6x8 -- I wouldn't say "no" to a Fuji 680. But of all interchangeable lens 6x7s, it seems to me the RB is the best deal around at this point in time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's such a great camera to use, oh that ground glass!

I kind of took a gamble with choosing it, as my dslr is on its way out (shutter starting to jam), so it was either this or a new dslr. I think I made the right choice. I'm also finding I feel more comfortable with the 6:7 ratio than the 3:4.

Had some polaroid film arrive in the mail today, so I gotta get on with the new light seals for the pola back now. I'm looking forward to trying that out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent comps, well done!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colour scheme has changed on this site and others, posts are alternating from pink to faint blue Question On my monitor all the posted OP's B/W shots are all with a pink cast.

Edit: Somehow windows 7 has changed the display on my screen as I have areas of pink where it was white before erm can't find so far how to get rid of it in control panel, and dual booting in Winxp and I don't have a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
The colour scheme has changed on this site and others, posts are alternating from pink to faint blue Question On my monitor all the posted OP's B/W shots are all with a pink cast.

Edit: Somehow windows 7 has changed the display on my screen as I have areas of pink where it was white before erm can't find so far how to get rid of it in control panel, and dual booting in Winxp and I don't have a problem.

A quick google finds this, don't know if it will help?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1223044

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

A quick google finds this, don't know if it will help?

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1223044

Thanks I've solved it by disabling everything pinkish in control panel Wink everything is mostly white now erm but the OP shots still look pink (maybe they are supposed to be Wink ).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one is my favorite!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 and 5 are my faves. RB's are great and they build muscles too! Nice work, do more! Very Happy