Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First impressions Auto Yashinon 5.5cm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: First impressions Auto Yashinon 5.5cm f/1.8 Reply with quote

Took out the Yashinon and made a few shots. Clickable for full size:
DSC01190 by devoscasper, on Flickr
DSC01188 by devoscasper, on Flickr
DSC01198w by devoscasper, on Flickr
DSC01196 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Nice vintage character, and good pop and (central) sharpness wide open.

Stopped down to f/5.6, nice:
DSC01202 by devoscasper, on Flickr

The lens takes some stopping down to get really sharp from corner to corner. But @f/8, it is very sharp indeed:
DSC01205 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Conclusion: I bought this lens because of its looks, and because I like lenses with cm designation Smile
But it is quite capable as well. Very usable wide open, with vintage character, and sharp all over when stopped down.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same as the early AUTO Mamiya/Sekor 55mm 1.8.

I took them apart side-by-side and the elements were interchangeable. The only difference, apart from the cosmetics, which I agree are very nice in the case of the Auto Yashinon, was the way the rear block was mounted. As I recall the rear block of the Mamiya Sekor was easier to unscrew.

It's a pretty great lens, whatever its livery or housing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
It's the same as the early AUTO Mamiya/Sekor 55mm 1.8.

I took them apart side-by-side and the elements were interchangeable. The only difference, apart from the cosmetics, which I agree are very nice in the case of the Auto Yashinon, was the way the rear block was mounted. As I recall the rear block of the Mamiya Sekor was easier to unscrew.

It's a pretty great lens, whatever its livery or housing.

Definitely better than I expected.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well .. if you dont mind that the lens is a tomioka, then you have one of the most beautiful lenses ever made

i notice slight ca what i find common across vintage yashinons

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Like Dog Those are really nice examples! Surprisingly great! (what is that growing in the canal?)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference against Yashinon-DX 1.7/50 seems to be a more painterly bokeh of the older lens. Very attractive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
The main difference against Yashinon-DX 1.7/50 seems to be a more painterly bokeh of the older lens. Very attractive.

How similar are the lens designs?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I'v never opened Yashinon-DX. Pretty sure there will be a more competent reply to this question.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the DS 50mm 1.7 (same as the DX but just automatic and not manual aperture)
Percolator Bokeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot! I found out that I was using my Yashinon-DX for street shooting mostly, so too little for close-ups. This situation should be fixed.