Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First attempt on scannin film with a camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: First attempt on scannin film with a camera Reply with quote

Nex5n, on tripod with Industar 61 L/Z 50/2.8

just a couple of "scans"

bn was a HP5, color one don't remeber Laughing

What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you make better to focus on the grain at the max magnification, then close down to f8 ( i do my scans with the exactly same lens model as yours with tubes with a Canon 5DMkII). What you used to light this negatives? Sorry, this results are really poor to my eyes, but can improve much more: you have hardware for that!
Don't give up, my first ones came even worst than yours!
Very Happy
Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know, this was just a test, nex5n with Industar and no tube, film holder placed on table and the smartphone with white background as a source Wink

Which kind of extension tube you suggest?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Don't remember anymore the tube size, but with the 3 pieces set normally used is the smaller, number 1.
But YMMV, as I scan negatives of 120 in 2 halves and and 4x5 inch film in 4 parts. To do the same in 35mm, certainly you'll need a longer tube, or even more then just one tube. The goal is to cover more negative area with the sensor to use more sensor resolution possible with the scan.

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But YMMV, as I scan negatives of 120 in 2 halves and and 4x5 inch film in 4 parts. To do the same in 35mm, certainly you'll need a longer tube, or even more then just one tube. The goal is to cover more negative area with the sensor to use more sensor resolution possible with the scan.

Not strictly necessary. Resolution of good film in 35mm format is about 6 megapixels. If you're "scanning" at a bigger resolution, you're just scanning grain. But yeah, try to find a lens/tube combination that will allow you to fill the sensor frame with the negative reasonably well and it will be fine. Also close the lens to about f/5.6 or f/8 for maximum sharpness and make sure the lens is as perpendicular to the film as possible. And of course the negative must be completely flat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried with same lens on bellows, this single frame is 6 stitced images. I still have some problems with back light (that spot in the sky)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Please send him the youtube link with your lightning setup - which I use to scan, it just works flawlessly!

Cheers,

Renato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

I agree with miran that scanning 35mm negative in several shots and then stitching is well... probably not the best idea.
Before I found reliable lab in my town, I tried DSLR scanning with Canon 600d + Pentax-M 50/1.7 on 32mm extension tube.

For me it worked quite well and you can see results here: http://forum.mflenses.com/fuji-superia-200-super-takumar-55-2-and-tamron-02b-28-2-5-t65997.html in this setup I used tripod for camera and I secured piece of glass as negative holder to the piece of wood so it will be stable
My first test with my initial setup here: http://forum.mflenses.com/dslr-scan-vs-pro-scan-test-shots-opinions-nee-t65434.html

I've used small LED torch to help during focusing and with lens wide open, then I stopped lens to f/8 and switched off torch and make the shot. With stable tripod and secured negative holder I was checking focus every several frames, while with my first setup I was focusing every single frame.

Cheers
Mateusz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I will work on it