Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fed up with Praktica LTL ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Fed up with Praktica LTL ... Reply with quote

... but not with SP1000, which is getting repaired and CLA'd. of course, their combined ages probably approach 100 years.

the sp1000 is hanging on the film advance spool, giving double exposures on a strip of each frame.

the praktica is ruining shots with a shutter hangup or light leak through the bottom - something. i'll post pics from the praktica - good and bad - sometime tonight so maybe you guys can help diagnose.

anyhow, what is the best used m42 body going now, with the brightest viewfinder? or do i need to go another body with adapters? aieeeeeee!!!

Last edited by fish4570 on Sat May 08, 2010 2:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about the Practica; this fellow is the goto in the Pentax film camera community for repairs & tuneups: http://pentaxs.com/

A good CLA might be less than a used camera that might need CLA too...ymmv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuji's are good M42. Though I mainly know about the 605, a nice tiny camera... I think there are a couple of models that use obsolete batteries... and the top models are supposed to be excellent. Good viewfinders. With the 605 and my glasses, I have trouble seeing the meter needle though.

The TL Electro Yashicas are large beasts, but somehow I like them. I'm batting .500 with these though, whether or not the electronics work. When you get one that works, it's a tank, and comfortable to hold.

I second the pentax repair place, Eric works wonders. The advantage of using a Pentax is that you can still get Eric to fix it.

I think this thread kicked the topic around pretty completely:
http://forum.mflenses.com/what-is-a-good-screw-mount-m42-camera-to-get-t19839.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why stick to M42 bodies? For the cost of an adapter you can use the lenses on more recent Canon, Pentax and - presumably - other bodies that are likely to be more reliable.

The camera body is just a light-tight box with a shutter once you stick it behind a manual lens. The brand or lens mount isn't of great importance (subject to adapters being available - Nikon's off the table for that)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul most of my cameras I buy I get them serviced, it costs a lot more but it is worth it to know you have 100% working camera.....and that you may be preserving history for a little longer Very Happy To put it in perspective the cameras cost say $20-100au and the service per camera cost $200+ depending on the camera....but I have functional cameras that work well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the sp1000 is hanging on the film advance spool, giving double exposures on a strip of each frame. the praktica is ruining about ever fourth shot with a shutter hangup or something. i'll post pics from the praktica - good and bad - sometime tonight so maybe you guys can help diagnose.

My experience with Practica tought me that they are unreliable. I had several versions and three of them had a the same shutter problem (Nova TL, MTL3 and PLC3). When I was cocking the shutter it released by itself which ruined the frame. The light meter of my MTL5 died one time and a VLC2 had problems with a sticky mirror from time to time. By the end of the day I sold all my M42 stuff (o.k. I kept a Nova with Domiplan lens for sentimental reason) and switched to Leica R and Nikon. Much better cameras and the lenses don't have to hide behind the M42's . Wink

Quote:
anyhow, what is the best used m42 body going now, with the brightest viewfinder?

IMO best body would be the Bessaflex TM from cosina. It is quiete new and has a really bright viewfinder. Unfortunately it is quite expensive.

Quote:
or do i need to go another body with adapters?

Adapters can be quiete annoying since you loose automatic aperture. There are lots of people who don't bother but I do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
Why stick to M42 bodies? For the cost of an adapter you can use the lenses on more recent Canon, Pentax and - presumably - other bodies that are likely to be more reliable.

The camera body is just a light-tight box with a shutter once you stick it behind a manual lens. The brand or lens mount isn't of great importance (subject to adapters being available - Nikon's off the table for that)

Couldn't say better myself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
PaulC wrote:

Couldn't say better myself.

+1 I have plenty of M42 bodies, but I like to use better more modern ones+M42 ring.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a nice Fujica.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentax is probably worth getting repaired or buying another. Spotmatics are probably about as reliable as you can get. There is the occasional one which has been neglected and it sounds as though you've bought that one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i looked at pics of a bessaflex tm. gorgeous, retro look ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want a sound body with really bright viewfinder especially for the 400/6.3 spiratone. this will get a workout because i love birds so much. since it is a T4 mount, it will go one just about anything, right? a screwmount body would be most flexible because of my several lenses, but ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Arkku.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got my eye on an st605 on ebay. that's a nice-looking little camera ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
i've got my eye on an st605 on ebay. that's a nice-looking little camera ...

It was my first SLR, a gift from my father when I was 14 (or 15). It's a great little camera, with all the essentials you need to shoot: stop down button, a great meter, and a large viewfinder.

You will probably have to redo the light seals. Before buying, check (ask) that the meter works, screen is clear, and the curtains look ok.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything is said to be in excellent shape. my offer was accepted. with shipping, much less than a CLA for my spotmatic, which i'll get done someday anyhow ...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: fed up with my 2 m42 bodies Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
the sp1000 is hanging on the film advance spool, giving double exposures on a strip of each frame.

This is a strange one (to me anyway). It sounds as though the film transport roller (the one with the sprockets that go in the holes in the film) has not re-engaged properly after you last pressed the rewind release button. You could try playing with the release button > film advance to check if it pops out again properly and the roller is locked. If not, a tiny drop of oil on the shaft below the button would probably solve it. You only need to remove the baseplate to get at it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, peter. i was messing with the body yesterday, and the takeup felt sound. i reckon i'll try what you suggest in the interim. it really does need new seals and bumper, and the prism is filthy inside ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar XC-2 and similar Cosina-made cameras (such as the Vivitar XC-3 and some Cosina labeled models) combine the M42 lens mount with a very bright viewfinder that has a central split-image focusing aid. The XC-2 has both spot and average metering, and a lever to create multiple exposures when desired. Shutter speeds other than 1/60 sec (as I recall) depend on battery power. The body is light and compact, and maybe less robust than a Spotmatic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, ra. I am very happy right now with a Fujica ST605 body. I have another ST605 that will get a CLA with the SP1000 this summer. The compact ST605 has a VERY bright viewfinder with combined focus center.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:

It may be a light tight box, but other things come into play such as style build quality etc. Cameras with metering and shutter design and operation also change the game some. For example, and S-M-C or SMC Tak would be a stopped down only lens on any body with an m42 adapter. However, on a Spot F, ES, ES II it is an open metering lens. Lastly, there are some of us who have working collections.

So the question could just as easily be, "Why, not stick to an m42 body?" Very Happy

Edit: Keep in mind a Pentax MX or ME Super body or even a K2 may very well need a CLA since they are all over 25 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish I don't think you can escape the inevitable CLA for the older cameras or buy one already CLA'd.
Mine cost a fortune to be fixed up but I am enjoying them Very Happy I have a few dead bodies I can practice on so down the track I may be able to do my own CLA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't cost me a fortune: $55 per. I'll get 'em done before long ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had that price!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo, my Pentax SP1000 went off today for a CLA ...