Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fed-5B, the underrated hero. Review.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Fed-5B, the underrated hero. Review. Reply with quote

I`ve been collecting Russian cameras for almost 3 years and looking back to the beginning of my journey as a collector one camera really stands out to me - the Fed-5B. It was one of the 3 first cameras that I`ve started my collection with and over the years I`ve manages to acquire ~ 15 different variations ( still tons of them remaining.. ). It was the first camera that I have used with a film and it got me hooked up and led me to where I`am today.

Over the past few days I`ve been having good luck acquiring even more 5B`s, however having bad luck trying to sell the spare one that I have. This got me thinking why do people underrate and ignore this wonderful peace of Russian photographic equipment and I have decided to make a small review where I share my personal experience with this camera.

The Fed-5B was one of the most popular and the most available camera in Russian federation since 1975 and up until the early 90s. Over that time ~ 2 million unit`s were made. up until now this camera is often seen on the bay or other advertisement sites, however not many people tend to buy it.

Originally 5B was a modified version of the Fed-3 camera. It featured a new design shutter mechanism. The new shutter allowed the user to change speeds before winging the film without any risk of stuck shutter which was a common flaw of the Fed-3. Also the new, more bulky design with a new name plate radically changed the vintage look that the Fed-3. Still the characteristics of the camera remained the same.

I have used the Fed-5B at least 10-15 times and I LOVED IT every single time. The camera has a great feel to it. It is rather big compared to it`s older brothers or other similar cameras like zorki-4, but I do not consider this a flaw. Actually ergonomics is one of the most critical aspects of the camera. And the Fed-5B has this covered. There is plenty of space for a decent grip, the dial layout is very comfortable and the cameras wight already gives you an impression that you are holding a true peace of heavy duty equipment which in extreme situations can act as a self-defence weapon.... And that is true! Fed-5 series cameras with the 5B upfront are probably the most durable cameras that have been produced in the Russian federation. Even after 30 year cameras that have never been CLA`d and used a lot work perfectly. Sadly I cannot say the same thing about similar cameras from the same years such as Zorki-4 or 4K that are rarely fount in accurately working condition. 5B`s had almost no weak spots ( I say almost because you can`t be always 100 % sure about every single camera ). It`s no surprise that they are often called work horses. I have held ~100+ 5b and 99% of them where never CLA`d and 95% where working perfectly. If that`s not good enough I don`t know what is.
Another great thing about these cameras is their price. Due to low popularity most of them are sold for peanut`s one the bay. You can get a fully working , minty condition one for less than 30 USD, with a lens. To me it seem a huge bargain considering what you are getting.

Now..I have to agree with the majority of people and say that 5B is not all that good looking. Compared to let say it`s older brother Fed-3 it`s not that pretty. But if you manage to find one in mint condition you just can`t resist and fell in love with it. Smile Apart from it`s looks I cant really say anything bad about it. From the ~ 8 different 5B that I`ve used with a film I can honestly say it was an amazing experience. In my opinion any RF fan should have one of these cameras. It is simple, it has all the basics , it is strong as a mule and above all it has a special feeling which not many cameras are blessed with.

I`m attaching a few pictured that I`ve took with a 5B + Industar - 50 , f3.5/50mm lens , black version from the late 70s and an expired fuji film superia 200iso. Exposure was guessed and film was scanned using old Epson scanner thats why lots of quality is missing..Also note ,that these are one of the first shot`s that I`ve took using a film camera Smile

The sign says "fleemarket" .

Hope you`ve liked reading my review as much as I`ve liked writing it. Also any sort of comments, replies are welcome. Please share you personal opinion about this camera, if you have one. And if you don`t go buy it, test it and then reply Smile

Thanks Wink

Last edited by Drack on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for review! I had also and I think still have somewhere, good camera for sure , but was too 'new' to me I wasn't impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Thank you for review! I had also and I think still have somewhere, good camera for sure , but was too 'new' to me I wasn't impressed.

Yes it is a relatively new camera, however it`s technical characteristics does not exclude it from other cameras made in the 50s or 60s Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Seems I inspired you ,my friend , with the other thread about russian rangefinders .
Indeed , underrated .
I have one ,It should be in mint condition , but the bad packaging half-destroyed my joy :
It has a dent that blocks the course of the windlever at halfway Crying or Very sad But I can wind the film with a double stroke ...

I didn't know about the new shutter mechanism , but I noticed it works well.
It's rather big , but not oversized ( I personally prefere smaller ) and feels shure in hand (not better in this aspect than the Kiev ,after all)
Has some utilitarian predominance and can't say it works bad . On the contarary.
What I dislike in the actual shooting is the optical correction of the viewfinder ,wich rotates too easy and moves from it's position everytime .That's annoying The rangefinder spot is round , seems a little doubled in the upper part , but possibly fom thet shok in transport. Not very bright .

As a general sensation , you can't call it flimsy Smile
The look is a subjective question . Too far from the original Leica rangefinder pattern ,for me.Maybe not for others .
But ,as a shooter , a fair one (excepting the optical correction ).Viewfinder not great , I prefere Kiev's ,but useable .
The results are very good for a 19 E camera ,with I-61LD :
http://forum.mflenses.com/industar-61-l-d-t53989.html
Not my cup of tea ,though Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too, I liked it but sadly it's developed a shutter fault, despite being mint and with only 3-4 rolls through it Sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the review and pictures, love 2,3, and 4! I'm waiting on 4 russian RFs, 2 Kiev 4a, the Zorki 6,
and this one:

Also bought an Industar-69 with extension tube for the Zorki and Fed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Very Happy Seems I inspired you ,my friend , with the other thread about russian rangefinders .
Indeed , underrated .
I have one ,It should be in mint condition , but the bad packaging half-destroyed my joy :
It has a dent that blocks the course of the windlever at halfway Crying or Very sad But I can wind the film with a double stroke ...

I didn't know about the new shutter mechanism , but I noticed it works well.
It's rather big , but not oversized ( I personally prefere smaller ) and feels shure in hand (not better in this aspect than the Kiev ,after all)
Has some utilitarian predominance and can't say it works bad . On the contarary.
What I dislike in the actual shooting is the optical correction of the viewfinder ,wich rotates too easy and moves from it's position everytime .That's annoying The rangefinder spot is round , seems a little doubled in the upper part , but possibly fom thet shok in transport. Not very bright .

As a general sensation , you can't call it flimsy Smile
The look is a subjective question . Too far from the original Leica rangefinder pattern ,for me.Maybe not for others .
But ,as a shooter , a fair one (excepting the optical correction ).Viewfinder not great , I prefere Kiev's ,but useable .
The results are very good for a 19 E camera ,with I-61LD :
Not my cup of tea ,though Smile

I feel sorry for your 5b. It is a shame it got damaged on its way to you. If you want I can send you the top plate which is in good condition and you can change it yourself or at a repair man Wink.

I do agree with you on the RF. The fact that it`s round does not really give much comfort and Kiev`s RF is way better, but I can`t really say anything else. Most of them are very accurate and worked nice for me Smile

iangreenhalgh1: Too bad you came broke down..Bad carma? Very Happy

katastrofo: The Fed-5C I like more than 5B. The RF on the 5C is a few times brighter and has frames inside. And surprisingly the lightmeter is very accurate ( I have compared the Fed-5 and Fed-5C lightmeters to see if 5C "modification" really is better. Sadly I did not see the difference.). Do you like the red leather more than the original black one? I personally can`t stand suck "modifications"... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps my Fed decided to stop working because I had forsaken her for my Kiev. Smile I hope my Kievs don't stop working now I've bought a Contax. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Perhaps my Fed decided to stop working because I had forsaken her for my Kiev. Smile I hope my Kievs don't stop working now I've bought a Contax. Sad

So,you must act in such way they don't notice a lack of affection Laughing

Drak wrote:
I feel sorry for your 5b. It is a shame it got damaged on its way to you. If you want I can send you the top plate which is in good condition and you can change it yourself or at a repair man .

Thanks ,very kind of you ! I'll try to do that ,one day ,if you send me one top plate . Hope I'll restore it at full functionality .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks ,very kind of you ! I'll try to do that ,one day ,if you send me one top plate . Hope I'll restore it at full functionality

I`ve sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

So,you must act in such way they don't notice a lack of affection Laughing

Yes, the poor Fed languished in a cupboard for months as I fell deeply in love with my Kiev. The Fed lasted on roll after I took her out for her first shoot in months, then the shutter started not winding to the right position so there is always a gap visible between the curtains. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill , your Fed looks good !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drack, that's just the clothes it was wearing when I bought it. Laughing

Teo, that's the seller's pic, hope to receive it in a week or so, and
hope it works, thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

hope it works, thanks!

Where does it coming from ?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teo, had to check, it's coming from the Ukraine. Also anxious to try
the Kiev with the Helios, after seeing these flickr pix with same outfit:

Same guy shot both of these, like the results.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

hope it works, thanks!

Ach...I hate it when people change their clothes Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fed-5B, the underrated hero. Review. Reply with quote

Drack wrote:
Over the past few days I`ve been having good luck acquiring even more 5B`s, however having bad luck trying to sell the spare one that I have. This got me thinking why do people underrate and ignore this wonderful peace of Russian photographic equipment and I have decided to make a small review where I share my personal experience with this camera.

I had a Fed 4 and my thoughts were "wow this is way too big for a rangefinder" and that was pretty much it. Laughing I could say more, but these cameras are just giganto-huge so far as RFs go. The 4 also has the weird rewind thumbwheel, so it's a little less user friendly than the 5. I have thought about getting the 5, but figure if I'm going to pay for shipping a camera to the U.S., I'd rather go with older Fed rather than a newer one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fed-5B, the underrated hero. Review. Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Drack wrote:

I had a Fed 4 and my thoughts were "wow this is way too big for a rangefinder" and that was pretty much it. Laughing I could say more, but these cameras are just giganto-huge so far as RFs go. The 4 also has the weird rewind thumbwheel, so it's a little less user friendly than the 5. I have thought about getting the 5, but figure if I'm going to pay for shipping a camera to the U.S., I'd rather go with older Fed rather than a newer one.

Seem to me that you have the older version of the Fed-4. Newer ones had a standard wind up leaver. As for the shipping...maybe your right. But it never hurts to experiment Smile

Your situation reminds me of one of my own. I could really love to have an argus C3 and they are cheap, but getting one form the US is expensive...