Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FD or M42: 300mm? suggestions on next glass?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
kathala wrote:

The 300 5.6 has a decent but not stellar reputation, and image quality is on par with the 100-300 5.6 L zoom

If you're interested: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XHrXeijkKB_ULZxcgJK_v4iPBbxAfOuuo-VuP5ESDvA

I find the 300 5,6 to be excellent.
Can we seriously expect anything better?

Absolutely. The Canon (n)FD 5.6/300mm IF (there's also an earlier non-IF version of the FD) is an above-average vintage 300mm lens, but several (not alll!) vintage ED/AD/ULD/Fluorite lenses are wy better. One of those lenses, the Mamiya Sekor C 5.6/300mm, is hilariuosly cheap. Unless you need the IF / close focusing capability if the Canon nFD 5.6/300mm IF, go for the Sekor C 5.6/300mm!

lumens pixel wrote:
The bad reputation of middle range lenses results sometimes from the disappointing results of not so competent users. Whereas, not in all cases, people paying huge amounts for high end lenses would at least try to use them adequately. Though this is not always verified.

Maybe. But when such a lens really shines, people quickly acknowledge it. Minolta MD 4/75-150mm for example.

S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the motion encouraging a Sony mirrorless. A used a7rii is cheaper than any Canon 300mm 2.8 fluorite (I have one and it is bigger and heavier than my Sony 100-400 zoom) on offer on ebay right now. Image stabilization is a very good surrogate for fast glass in many situations.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "keeper" percentage went up dramatically when I moved from inexpensive gear to higher end offerings. Obviously you CAN take great photos with a 1930's folding camera, but it is much more difficult and the situations where it will work are much more limited than even a cheap cell phone camera from today. Don't waste your time trying to get good photos with an aftermarket zoom from the 70's if you are after edge to edge crisp shots, excellent microcontrast and minimal optical aberrations. They CAN however be used for creative endeavors.